Haunt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Master of Scaremonies
12,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if this has ever been done on here, but....

If you could go back to your 17th, 18th (or a more recent) birthday and change a decision or make a different path for yourself in life, what would you do and why? Do you think your life would be any different and if so, how?

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Jeez...exactly where to start? Give me a day or so to think about it and I will get back to this thread. This is a difficult question that bears some mulling over.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
I would dump my high school sweet heart ,that stupid bitch:finger: , and continue on to the air force as planned.:D

Then I could rain fire from above, fire bomb kill, kill, kill. that would ROCK!!!
did I metion I lack moral fortitude? :D

·
Registered
5,423 Posts
I don't think I would change a thing. I can't see risking the chance I wouldn't be the same person I am today. I can say my life hasn't been the greatest but what has been downfalls has made me a much stronger person. I am very happy now and wouldn't want to change that for anything.

·
Old Bat
2,823 Posts
I think you're right, Teary. It's true that we learn from our experiences, and become stronger people because of them.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
To be honest I'm happy the way my life has turned out too. I threw away my angst quit the partying and became a pretty mellow fellow (damn pretty :D). I have a wonderful wife, plenty of money,a happy old dog, a warm house and no kids that I know of, what more could I ask for? It has all turned out well. :)

I would have kept my Nvidia Stock for another year, instead of doubling my money it would have tripled. Oh well :)

·
Bataholic
2,725 Posts
ok ok... i would change one thing.... i never would have tired waxing the totally perfect blonde hairs on my face for a friggin jerk that i thought i was going to spend the rest of my life with.... and i would not have worried one bit when it didn't work out with us after 4 years..... ok, that sounded bitter didn't it? LOL :googly:

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
The condition for me going back would have to be that I have knowledge of what went on before so I could make the proper "tweakings." That being said, I would go to the point where my first ex-wife was about to concieve Michael, get a lawyer, establish some rights, and dump that pig the second I knew I had everything iron clad. Afterward, I would just actively seek out the things that do make me the man I am today.

·
In Remembrance
7,646 Posts
I tend to agree with you all, over all my life turned out ok. I have been lucky enough to have meet some nice people along the way and if i changed anything i may not have got the chance to see them. The good as well as the bad makes you who you are.

·
Master of Scaremonies
12,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, Sin, that is part of the deal a la Quantum Leap.....

I would go back and make a real effort not to have that fight and then lose touch with my best friend growing up.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I've been thinking about this since I read it last night and it's really made me think... I mean deep think. I came up with all kinds of scenarios about changing this and that but all of it has made me who I am today. My mom taught me a long time ago to have no regrets. She said that regrets were a waste of time and they teach you nothing. She said to use all my mistakes as learning experiences and move on. Personally, I think that was GREAT advice.

That being said...

IF I could go back, I would have made my mom remind me on a daily basis how important an education is and that there are such things as scholarships for good grades and that you will get no where in this life without a college education. So, if I could, I would go back and either get good grades to get into a college or I would've gone to community college or something right after high school.

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
I ,too, fall under the category of those who wouldn't want to change a thing. My mistakes, and there are a lot of them, have made me the person I am today.

I mean, if I had never danced with that all male nude review, I wouldn't have met my beautiful wife.

If I had never told Ken Lay to dump his Enron stock, I would have a lot less money now.

If I had never killed those orphans and went to prison, I never would have met my best friend, Gonzo.

We can't live our lives with regrets, do what I did and make the most out of yours.

Big mistakes=good life.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Too Funny Slimy.... or is it...

Anyway. I am a strong believer that life happens for a reason. I was married at 23 - divorced at 24 but man I was such a BITCH before that.... so hey Im a lot nicer now...

If I was not married before, I would not have met my spouse I have now... I think there is a lot to be said for that.

I have been blessed to date with a good life. I would not change a thing.. the good or the bad....

As Anthoney Robbins said.... when you fall down, its okay, as long as you pick something up while you are down there....

So thats my motto and its worked well so far...

·
Are you always like this?
3,290 Posts
I also believe that what we've done, good and bad, makes us who we are. It has me.

Just so long as you learn from your mistakes and become stronger, better (and don't repeat them), that's how we grow.

·
Master of Scaremonies
12,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yup - and, at the risk of flaming or irritating everyone - that's kind of the responses I was hoping for in this thread. I've said privately that - don't scream, townsfolk - that I think too many people were giving the 'easy' answer or the answer they thought they were "supposed" to give - that is "don't look back" or "don't live life with regrets". A few responses seemed "real" and "honest" and I thank you for that.

For the record, I agree. And that's how I live, and how I recommend we all should. That being said...........

I find it so hard to believe that no one can honestly and intellecutally state that there is not ONE thing you would change.

Wouldn't have cheated on that girlfriend? Or cheated on that exam? Or maybe you would have asked that girl out? Maybe not had so much to drink that one particular night? Or not fought with that neighbor? Or cut down that cherry tree out back? Or ran those 5 extra yards for the touchdown? Not put that prop up last year???

That was my intent with this thread - just something, ANYTHING, that you would do differently.

C'mon - be honest. Y'all know there's something. But do you have the courage to share?

:D

·
Are you always like this?
3,290 Posts
OK, then, I've put more thought into it, although I still stand by my thoughts for my major life decisions...

Having said that - It would have been nice if I held onto my '87 Monte Carlo SS when I moved to the Virgin Islands. But after a year, the car payments were silly for a car I wasn't using. It would have been nice to have a car like that now. Not quite vintage, but might be something/creeping up in value. Can any car guys give their thoughts?

On the flip side, selling it freed up my finances to stay in the islands for three years. My ex boyfriend and I then sailed his yacht to Spain and spent several months in Europe. I grew up during those years and have some wonderful memories from the adventure.

If I'd held onto that car, I might not have been able to do that. Still I loved that car. You just never know exactly how life will unfold. ;)

Or, how about this: That evening I had the horse riding accident, I wish I would have stopped while I was ahead. My baby son was only six months old and I was dead tired. Still, I went for one more jump, despite being switched off. I fell off and dislocated my right shoulder. Hubs was traveling at the time and as we lived in England, I had no help with the baby. It sucked looking after an infant on my own with that kind of injury. It was months before the pain subsided and years before I could move without thinking about it. And my whole right side is goofed up now; the injury affected more than just the dislocated shoulder - I feel problems in my hip joint and my elbow locks up at times. It'll give me problems when I age, I know it... If only I had stopped.

I just thought you were talking about major life events. For those, I truly can and have lived my choices. :)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts