Haunt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, I got bored and went in the garage. I found a scratch sheet of foam and then some tape. I tapes on the bricks (extra wide tape) and left a groute line inbetween each brick. I then just took some spray paint and sprayed the lines. Of course we all know spray paint eats away foam. So I removed the tape and.. whallah! Instant brick! It looks EXTREMELY natural due to the foam being eaten away a bit around each brick and the uneven lines inbetween. I then took a bunch of paint I had, greens, blacks, yellows, grey, red and painted it up. I was shocked, I could not believe it was foam! I don't have any pictures unfortunatly, camera is at my brothers home.

My question is, has anyone else used this idea? I don't see any difference between it and others who use routing equipment.

·
Ghost Maker
3,014 Posts
That sounds like an excellent idea to me. The last foam tombstone I did I used a cardboard cutout and simply laid it down flat on the foam, then sprayed paint. I wonder if you could cut out a few 'bricks' from carboard and lay them out in an area, and spry paint the grout lines there, moving the cardboard 'bricks' to the next area and spraying, etc. This would save a lot of tape, and seems like it would be much faster if you had to do several walls. Again, excellent idea!

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks everyone! When I use this on my pillars and facades, which will have foam exteriors, I'll be sanding the area where the bricks will be down a bit (to show that the plaster is raised where not ruined). Should look pretty good I think! Once I spray the spraypaint to create the effect, I'll let it dry and give it a good sanding to smoothen it out. Should look great!

·
Registered
5,682 Posts
wow JohnnyL that is good looking. I've been trying to decide how I want to make my witch oven and i think i'll use this technique slightly dif though for the look i want thanks a bunch!!!
now did you use reg masking tape or painting tape, which would work best.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just used a spare type of "shipping" tape we had laying around (the brown clear stuff). I would imagine you'd want to use a strong tape to prevent the spray from creeping under too much. You might even get away with cutting a bunch of rectangles or shapes you want out of cardboard and laying them in place with a little tape behind them.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
I think the "brick masking" idea would be the best -- after all, the shape of the mortar lines is determined by the shape of the bricks and how they're laid, not vice versa, right? So lay out the "bricks" and spray the mortar... how cool.

Johnny, yer a freekin jeenyis. Painting and carving in one simultaneous motion. Heh. I just love this board.

·
In Remembrance
7,646 Posts
Bricks, skulls,stones,letters, ect. what ever shape you wanted to mask out. Truely an amazing idea. Thanks JL

·
Registered
247 Posts
And to think I strayed away from using brick style pillars for my graveyard fence, there is still time!!!

Truely great work, your the man!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts