Haunt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
8,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry folks, but I didn't know where else to pose this question...

Which is better? Ironstock or Midwest? I'm in Illinois and as a beginning haunter I won't be able to make both.

Or is it like compairing apples to oranges? Do they focus on different audiences?

Please don't send me to the sites, I already checked them out and would like people's opinions. Thanks!

14,925 Posts
both are good events to go to.
the seminars will cost you at midwest, $50 per each?..
Not sure what Ironstock will be for this yr, maybe $10 or so for the whole weekend, seminars are included with that.
Ironman is a member of this forum, send him a PM and he can fill in the blanks.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
I had fun at my first Ironstock last year and plan to go again this year. It helps that I'm cheap :D don't think I would spring for seminars as I am not a pro.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Comparing gatherings, large or small, is fairly easy as most have their own unique aspects for everyone. But trying to say which one would best fit your personal interest would be nearly impossible. In the eight years we have been hosting Ironstock we have always encouraged folks to attend which ever one(s) they could get to. Generally smaller gatherings typically have a defined intimate atmosphere while the larger gatherings usually have much more in the way of demos and information for haunters. And some stress the trade show aspect. At Ironstock we have always tried to combine each of these characteristics into one venue while adding a mix of fun for the whole family along the way. Last year we had over 630 haunters attend. Up a bit from the 35 people that were present at the first one, but we still work very hard to maintain that close camaraderie that we started with. About the best way I’ve ever heard Ironstock described is as some demented family picnic where you’re not really related to anyone. This phrase is sometimes followed by the whispered words “Thank God!” , but I believe you can get my drift.

Right now we are working on the demo and seminar line up for next June. As always, we try to come up with a mix that will be of interest to as many folks as possible. In the past this has varied from carving pumpkins and mixing monster mud to building state of the art animatronics and creating your own custom facial prosthetics. Our speakers range from the home novice to the seasoned pros that, while unpaid for their efforts, share their expertise with us all for the love of Halloween. We can never thank these dedicated individuals enough for their participation. The same must be said for the many vendors that have graced our Vendor’s Alley in the past. Whereas many of these vendors could expect to make much more money at some of the large conventions from mass sales, most come here to enjoy the more relaxed setting so they can not only show their wonderful wares, but actually have the time to meet people face to face and enjoy themselves as well.

Recently we have been approached by promoters from a nearby city that pitched the idea of moving Ironstock to their town to make it a much more viable business venture. They have glitzy conventions centers, and several luxury hotels that could accommodate our guests. We have also had leaders in the Halloween industry offer their help in showing us how to make Ironstock a profitable success. Our answer to both was “Thank you, but no.” We don’t measure success the same way as others do. The fact that hundreds of haunters that we consider family come from every walk of life to this sleepy little spot of the world to share our passion for the season is all the success we ever need.

However, on that note, I must sadly announce that for the first time in our eight year history, there will be a fee to attend Ironstock. Again I must impress that we are not out to make a profit, but rather to offset some of the rising expenses of putting on this event. In the beginning we had no earthly idea of how and what Ironstock would grow into. But to continue we have had to face the reality of either charging or losing this celebration that we hold so dear to our black hearts, and look forward to all year long. In the next few weeks the Ironstock web site will be updated with this new information. Basically the charge will be $15.00 per adult for the week-end, with advanced registration of $10.00.

We hope to meet each of you next June at Ironstock, but repeating what I said in the beginning, if you cannot make it here, try your best to make it to one of the gatherings closest to you. It will be an experience you will always cherish.

·
Registered
8,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Damn! Well said! That convinced the hell out of me! Looks like I'll be trying to hit Ironstock.

Who else is planning on attending?

·
DeceptiProp
5,851 Posts
Right now I am on standby for going. But I do have my hotel reserved. I love Ironstock. Remember if you go, support Ironstock by bring a signed pair of underwear. Give it to Jeff so he can dangle it above his head. That didn't sound good, but it looks cool.

·
Registered
8,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sounds like a plan...I'm a guy, so should I bring underwear with holes and bloody? ;-)

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
you know what i would like to see at ironstock... a few makeup booths... i was hoping to buy makeup for the party and there was none. i watched the seminar on how to apply it too bad i couldn't practice. Is there a reason there was no makeup booths set up?

·
Administrator
10,700 Posts
FE - are you only accepting booth *decorations* from people who attend Ironstock?

14,925 Posts
you know what i would like to see at ironstock... a few makeup booths... i was hoping to buy makeup for the party and there was none. i watched the seminar on how to apply it too bad i couldn't practice. Is there a reason there was no makeup booths set up?
That may be something you might want to ask IronMan.
An email or PM would most likly get an answer.

·
Are you always like this?
3,290 Posts
OK - I just looked at the link for Ironstock. This is very possible and I'd really like to go, especially since TransWorld seems to be for professionals only. I did a MapQuest and it's a seven hour drive for me... I'm sure I could drag my cousin or a friend if Tony doesn't want to go.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.