Haunt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello peeps! New how-to here. Thought I'd share how I go about making nice looking eyes for props and costumes.

First off, the eye textures. I've provided 10 eye textures you can print off. Print these off on your home printer to about the size you'll need. Use photo quality paper. Plain paper will bleed though and not look nearly as good. (More on that later)

Here is the link to the eyes.

Ok, other things you are ganna need.

Cheap Plastic paint palettes. You can get these at Wal-Mart, Hobby -Lobby, but likely, you already have some somewhere. They need to be clean, at free of scratches as we will use them as molds.

Next, you need a two part epoxy. For this, I've been using Smooth-On's Epoxy Cast 690 The stuff isn't very expensive, one trial size pack will do like a million eyes. lol . It hardens in 24hours, so you have lots of time to work. When hard, it is as clear as it was when liquid. You can likely use other epoxies, I think Hobby - Lobby carries a brand, but I've never used it.

Take the eye texture prints and cut them out to the round size of the palette wells. I recommend at first casting a blank well with epoxy only, and you can use this to cut out the eye textures, just lay it on the paper and cut around it with an exact-o knife.

The process is pretty simple. Set your palettes on a level surface. Mix the epoxy per instructions, and fill each well that you plan to make an eye in. Fill the well, don't overfill. Now carefully glide the print face down from the edge of the edge of the palette over the puddle of epoxy in the well, until you have it completely over the epoxy, centered on the well. Placing the paper this way as opposed to just dropping it on the puddle helps make sure you don't get an air bubble caught between the epoxy and the paper.

Once you position the paper so that its floating on top of the epoxy, I cover the back with a few drops. This way the paper is fully embedded, and this thing is now completely waterproof. Set this a side for a day or so to harden.

Once hard, WHACK the palette to demold them. You may or may not destroy the palette, guess that depends on your palette, and your whacking. Your eyes are ready! You can polish them up if you wish, but I find that they are glossy enough coming out of the clean palette.

Here is a photo of some finished.

Cool thing with this method, you get nice refraction on them at an angle. You can see this in this next pic. I think it makes them look more real.

Thanks for looking, I hope you enjoy!

EDIT 6-16-2012

New Eye Sheet!

I was messing around tonite and created some more eye prints, aimed at reptile-dragon-alien kinda stuff. Enjoy!

Download herehttp://www.hauntforum.com//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/

·
Super Moderator
64,431 Posts
Thanks for the good eyes and how to:)

I wonder how these would look if you used hot glue. I suspect that would give a nice milky eye suitable for an old hag prop.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the good eyes and how to:)

I wonder how these would look if you used hot glue. I suspect that would give a nice milky eye suitable for an old hag prop.
That's quite possible, you'd just have to try it. I know that the epoxy can accept paints. Just the slightest (and I mean slight) white paint will cloud it up as well. Too much and you won't see the eye print in back any longer.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Hey guys, I bought the clear molding resin kit from Michaels. $13.99 and a 40% coupon fom my phone app= $8.39,
that and the 6 slot tray from JoAnn fabric and Craft for .99cents. I made 12 eyes and have only used 1/3 of the bottles. Cures in 24 hours. A note: I used Pledge furniture polish and wiped the form to remove excess, as a release agent. When cured, flex the edges of the tray around each eye to break the edge seal and whack it into your hand and they pop out nice. Another tip. This stuff is designed to let the bubbles relase by itself, but, if you mix gently, minimizing the bubbles, and pour from the edge of the mold instead of the center of the depression, the bubbling is minimal. Wait about 15 minutes, and use a popsicle stick to drag any remaining bubbles to the edge. Then set your eye cutout on at a slight angle as to alow air to escape. Pour enough resin onto the back of the cutout to cover and seal the edges. In 24 hours they are done. Don't get excited and try to take them out early. They will be too soft and you can mess them up. This was fun. I gotta make some more.
http://www.hauntforum.com/picture.php?albumid=1035&pictureid=13705

·
Super Moderator
64,431 Posts
LMAO at that picture, tcass:D

I hope to try this soon myself, although I may not post a picture of myself wearing them:)

1 - 20 of 66 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.