Haunt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, what is all of your opinions on using Hangman props with the Jenna 6 story all over the news? I just saw today that Halloween stores are pulling all hangman type props and anything that resembles nooses off the shelves cause people are being offended. Personally I am not going to use mine even though its a Halloween prop and has nothing to do with any kind of hate message I am going to leave it out this year I want people to enjoy the yard haunt not be offended. :jol:

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
I've got a hanged man prop. It's a white guy, so I don't think anyone will be offended or make a connection to the fiasco down south. There's a different state of mind up north. My daughter just got a black Cabbage Patch Kid for her birthday. She loves it. She took it to school. Nobody thought twice about it. And I won't think twice about putting up my hanged man.

·
I'm bringing sexy back
7,790 Posts
After reading the articles regarding the Jenna 6, there were nooses hung in the tree. There were no dolls or anything hanging from the nooses - just the nooses themselves.

I have a skeleton that hangs from a noose and I put it up every year. When I bought it, I didn't think, "Wow, maybe this is a racist thing." (My actual thought was, "I hope he's not expensive because I gotta have him for my porch!!!") IMHO, when you think of putting these things up as part of your haunt, you probably think of death and maddness - what horrible thing triggered that person to their death - it has nothing to do with racist.

I think everyone now wants to be politically correct and by pulling these things off the shelves you're actually saying that these things have a racist motive behind them. I think by putting them up as you have done so in the past has no reflection on what's going on with Jenna 6 but just a Halloween prop that goes with the theme or scare that you're trying to project. Don't give in to this crap.

·
Registered
802 Posts
You know what - not being judgmental or trying to be - I think a skeleton in a noose is fair play.

There is a hanging person in the hauntforum dvd that I think is pushing the boundries - the animatronic has a hood over it's head and is "struggling." While it is a great prop and showed great abilities - I find it probably too lifelike. Like my 10 year old said - "Dad - that looks real."

It's not about what anybody else thinks - your the only one who can decide what you want to present. Having said that - I agree with you - I like to have fun G Rated scares. It's just a choice.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Hangings predated lynchings by hundreds of years. There were two hillbillies caught with nooses tied around the backs of their trucks in a neighboring town to Jena.

Funny thing is - I wouldn't think twice about seeing a burning at the stake witch display - when there was a time it was an actual practice (burning of innocent people).

I think everyone has there own ideas about what is acceptable or not. It means nothing more than people can think for themselves.

·
Registered
366 Posts
oops, hope you didn't think that was directed at you Saucer. Just a general venting. Being down here in the south, I am subjected to this type of ignorant event often, and when it makes national news, it just adds to the already bad rep that us southerners have.
You are right, Everyone has there own ideas about what is acceptable or not. That is what makes us unique. I just personally choice not to be too concerned with being too scary. I just try not to be too adult, if that makes since.

·
I'm bringing sexy back
7,790 Posts
I understand where you guys are coming from. Being from the south, your interpretation of a hanging holds more of a racist motive. Where I live, a hangman would be interpreted as a suicidal tendency by haunted/tormented thoughts or paying for a crime that was committed. A few years ago and three blocks from my house, a guy hung himself on his porch. He hung there for a week and everyone who passed thought it was a Halloween decoration which was just around the same time. Finally, the mailmail checked him out and realized it was the guy who lived there and called the cops.

Anyway, IMHO the only way I would think any hangman prop would have any racist motive would be if there was a hangman and a prop beside it dressed in a white hood and cape. I mean, there is no descrepancy with that one!

·
Registered
802 Posts
I agree - there was a guy in a neighboring town that flew the confederate flag in his front yard - a lot of folks saw that as racist whereas - and correct me if I'm wrong - lots of folks down south take pride in the confederate flag for reasons other than racism. More of a southern pride type of thing.

The guy died - flag came down. End of story.

But I wouldn't necessarily say northerners or southerners think nooses mean racism (I think of the old west)... thats sort of like saying southerners all like grits. But I understand what you are saying. And I love grits.

My dad was married to a southern gal for a while - she turned me onto peanut butter and mayonaise sandwiches - which she said was a southern Carolina thing. My schoolmates were repulsed. I still eat'em to this day.

:^)

·
Registered
43 Posts
I understand where you guys are coming from. Being from the south, your interpretation of a hanging holds more of a racist motive. Where I live, a hangman would be interpreted as a suicidal tendency by haunted/tormented thoughts or paying for a crime that was committed. A few years ago and three blocks from my house, a guy hung himself on his porch. He hung there for a week and everyone who passed thought it was a Halloween decoration which was just around the same time. Finally, the mailmail checked him out and realized it was the guy who lived there and called the cops.

Anyway, IMHO the only way I would think any hangman prop would have any racist motive would be if there was a hangman and a prop beside it dressed in a white hood and cape. I mean, there is no descrepancy with that one!
You people have very good observational skills.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I own one of the hooded life like ones you mentioned it operates with a wiper motor and its movements look real. My thing is with a hood over the face you cant tell what color the hang man is I just don't want people to get the wrong idea. although the news coverage would be nice thats not the kind of attention I'm looking for. I don't understand why everyone one in the world has to be so uptight as to ruin a holiday for the kids. We all work so hard on our props and something like this makes me think if they are pulling hangman props at Halloween stores whats next? pretty soon our yard haunts are going to look like Martha Stewarts living room blew up cause thats all that will be allowed..lol :jol:

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
I personally do not like the hangman props and would not have one in my haunt. I just dont get it with Halloween, I dont see the connection to halloween. But that is just my opinion. Everyone is allowed it. I dont disagree with it because it is racist or too graphic... I just dont get the fit of it.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I personally do not like the hangman props and would not have one in my haunt. I just dont get it with Halloween, I dont see the connection to halloween. But that is just my opinion. Everyone is allowed it. I dont disagree with it because it is racist or too graphic... I just dont get the fit of it.
Hang man + Death + Spooky = Halloween..lol

·
Registered
806 Posts
Know your audience and decide what reaction you want. If you had snoopy out there someone would complain, there is always one and he usually lives right next to you!

·
Registered
5,415 Posts
I have a Hangman...I also want an electric chair, a gas chamber, a torture rack, an iron maiden, a guillotine, stocks, shackles, chains, body parts and various cutting implimentations. I see Disembodied heads everywhere, hands, feet, eyeballs in a jar with quotes from forum members: "oooo! How can I make one of those?" I see faces in jars and more skulls than I can count. The hangman is just a prop, it's no different than ANYTHING I just mentioned. Don't be over sensitive folks..get over it. These things are a part of Halloween displays, and God help us if we start censoring ANY of it because of a few idiots.

·
Registered
5,415 Posts
I had a hangman 95% built. The wife nixed that idea. She thought it was way too much having a guy hanging from the front yard. So i turned him into an electric chair guy.
Excuse me, and I don;t mean to offend, but what is the difference between having a guy executed in your front yard by hanging VS. electrocution? Please help me understand why one is "preferable" over the other?:googly:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.