Haunt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have more than just buffalo and cowboys and indians here in oklahoma. We also have Halloween. My wife and I are about to embark on our 5th (yes, FIVE years) annual Pumpkin Carving Party. We are here to bounce ideas and pick brains of cool halloween people like yourselves.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Welcome Slimy....we went to a pumpkin carving party last year and took first and second place...pretty cool. I can't wait to see your pictures and get your ideas, because we're sponsoring a carving party this year. I'll be in your nect of the woods in September, too bad it's not closer to Halloween. Anyway, welcome!

·
In Remembrance
7,646 Posts
I take it that you have pumpkins too. Welcome and greetings to you slimy carver of pumpkins. And my your lanterns of jack always glow in the night.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Welcome!

I think that carving pumpkins is a wonderful art, but have pretty much given up on it down here in Florida, since they rot so quickly. What kinds of carvings do you prefer? I like the simple old fashioned traditional and also the newer 3-D kind where you carve the front and then carve something on the back that reflects on the wall above the pumpkin!

·
Registered
4,949 Posts
Greeting and salutations

Slimy pumkin carver are ya well that just seems fiting

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Welcome Slimy, I'm sure you will find more ideas than you have time for here...;)

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks guys for the warm welcome. A little more about me:

I've always loved Halloween. I've hosted Pumpkin Carving Parties in the past and they were always fun. So I talked my wife (then girlfriend) into throwing one. We "decorated" the house ( two strings of orange christmas lights and a witch made out of a fence post that I got at a garage sale.) The first party was a blast, but to be honest, we all got drunk and forgot to carve pumpkins.

The next year we wanted to make it a lot better. So we bought more lights and whatever props we could get from Wal Mart. And in what I thought was a stroke of genius, I put a latex skull on top of a PVC frame and built a life size creature. I honestly thought I invented this. I was sooo proud. Party went great and we had some good pumpkins.

Next year more of the same. More props more lights. Added silly games to our party. You've never laughed harder than you would watching drunk adults try to beat each other in a potato sack race. Or try to wrap each other up in toilet paper faster ( we call this "wrap the mummy")

On the fourth year, we discovered Hauntproject.com. My life will never be the same. I was amazed at all of the home haunters on the web. I was a little disapointed to see that the PVC creature was not only invented way before I did it, it was a basic prop. So I had to build more complicated props. Man was that fun and addicting. I added motion sensors and floor switches so the action goes off at the right time. We won a radio station contest for the best halloween yard in Oklahoma City. The pumpkin Carving party was the best attended one yet. Word is getting around.

This year is our 5th anniversary of our little shin dig. We are actually going to be blocking off the street for the party. How cool is that? We will be doing the silly games, the pumpkin carving, the costume contest, Walk through the Haunt, and this year we are adding the first ever ghoul-a-thon. A race on deathcycle ( you may call them "Big Wheels" with skeletons glued on them, me I call them "Deathcycles") through a series of pumpkin road blocks and then a number of obstacles like a 'fear factor' style find the skeleton key in the yucky stuff and open the chest, miscellanius races, pulling a team mate on a coffin slide and getting to finish line. Can you tell I'm excited?

Any ways I didn't mean to make this soo long, but it was very nice to meet all of you and I hope we can bounce ideas around. Two heads are better than one. Tastier, too.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Dr Morbius said:
Me brians peeked kleen..(drool)..yew cewd peck moor ef yoo wannts. (slobber)....Wearz mye kar keez?
Great! now i have to buy him a new brain. this is getting expensive guys.. or i could just get him one of those K-Mart blue light special brains...

non-the-less welcome.

·
Registered
185 Posts
That party sounds awesome! I live at the end of a private street and I know that one street over they have blocked it off for a July 4th party, but I had never considered doing the same thing for Halloween. Word is starting to get around about my yard display too. It's probably too late for me to start planning for this year, but I think I may give that a try for next year.

·
Registered
6,218 Posts
slimy, hello and welcome to HauntForum!! Your Pumpkin Carving Party sounds like a blast and I would love to see pictures sometime if you'd care to share. I just love jack-o'-lanterns. To me it wouldn't be Halloween without them...I love the way they look, I love the aroma of lit jack-o'-lanterns and the mood they invoke. :jol: :jol:

·
Registered
4,949 Posts
Come to think of it you also have a band called swine cadilac

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.