Haunt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is there a kit thats similar to prop-1 that controls multiple 110vac outputs and can hook up to comp usb? Not looking for LOR its too expensive.

·
Premium Member
5,858 Posts
Why not just use a prop-1 to control some 110VAC relays? EFX-TEK actually makes a 110VAC relay board that can be controlled by a prop-1.

Why the need to hook it up to a USB port?

·
Banned
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
and i can control the relays like 1 off 1 on all on all off etc? b/c i don't have a serial port.

·
Premium Member
5,858 Posts
Once the program is loaded into the prop-1, it will do whatever you want it to without being hooked up to a PC. You can use a usb to serial adapter that EFX-TEK sells to connect the prop-1 to the pc's USB port.

·
Banned
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i looked through all the pdf's and all. I know how to wire everything up now but, ...... now is that basic looks like gibberish to me.

·
Registered
4,949 Posts
I asked this elswher doea anyone know a good book to decifer that

·
Premium Member
5,858 Posts
Let's see... I don't know of any books, but there are some web sites that help teach you the basics of how to program in PBASIC. It's a really easy language to pick up and I'm no programmer either.

The best place to start would be Wolfstone's tutorials on prop-1. You can find it here:
http://wolfstone.halloweenhost.com/Controllers/_MainControllers.html

Once you have the basics down, Parallax sells a reference book detailing all the different commands of the PBASIC language and which version of the Basic Stamp they work with.

Parallax also sells a Basic Stamp 2 kit that comes with a tutorial book and a bunch of electronic components to teach you how to wire circuits and program the stamp to work with them.

·
Registered
156 Posts
is there a kit thats similar to prop-1 that controls multiple 110vac outputs and can hook up to comp usb? Not looking for LOR its too expensive.
I have been working on a similar project since December using the 4 port ssr boards and the prop1 its a much more cost effective solution than the parallax ssr board IMO and it does double duty on 2 holidays. Here is a link to the ssr board. This is using a triac to create a solid state relay (ssr)
http://computerchristmas.com/index.phtml?link=how_to&HowToId=68

Basically it can be run from the parallel port of the computer but the prop1 can trigger them as well. They are activated by switching ground on and off and that switches the triac on and off. And with the Prop1 the programming for on/off etc is fairly straightforward.

I have the Kit74 and I used Vixen to trigger it but the mechanical relays are not a good choice for Christmas but they work fine for a haunt. You can also replace the relays with SSR boards it just depends on what you need to turn on and off. Most of the stuff I trigger is less than 1amp so almost anything works.

·
Banned
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
looks to much like a cat walked across the keyboard i know you say its easy but to me its like brain surgery. I'm gonna have to find somone to pay to write the program for me if i go the prop-1 route.

·
Premium Member
5,858 Posts
Well, even if you use a KIT74, there is some programming involved, and the big downside to it is you have to keep it attached to your computer for it to work.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Dont let the programing of the Prop1 intimidate you. Some of the examples look very complicated because they are trying to cram large programs into the memory to get every last drop of control out of it.

There are many programs already written for the Prop1 on the forum http://www.efx-tek.com/php/smf/ that you can just cut and paste. The EFX guys will bend over backwards to help you with questions.

All the documentation for the Prop1 (a basic stamp 1) is available and FREE from Parallax http://www.parallax.com/dl/docs/books/edu/Wamv2_2.pdf

Spend some time looking at the SEROUT command and the cat tracks will make sense to you...

Also, EFX is considering making a "plug" for the Prop1 that will allow direct connect to Kit 74's if enough interest is expressed...

·
Registered
156 Posts
kryptonoff

The EFX Forum has tons of code and I will share what I have its not a problem just knowing what you want to do is the biggest question to answer and go from there. If Electronics is not an area you are comfortable in I fully understand that. When you mentioned Kit74 then I "think" you are ok with that part.

Getting back to your original question about the Kit74 and your looking for a USB solution. The Kit74 uses the LPT port I guess you know that. Their is a new kit similar that uses the serial port but not the USB. I have not seen a program yet that uses the USB except for the serial ones that use the USB to Serial Adapters.

·
Banned
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i looked at this one
http://www.efx-tek.com/php/smf/index.php?topic=173.0

all i realy need is to turn on relays all on all off differnt ones on and off with differnt pauses between the on and off but looking at that code i realy still have no idea :confused: :confused: that is turning me off from this prop-1 and rc-4 board im a idiot when it comes to this you say serout i dunno what that means i am completely clueless.

·
Banned
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
all i have to type is ?

K1 = IsOn
K1 = IsOff
"the thing for pause" i dunno it
k2=ison
k2=isoff

or do i have to type all the other stuff ?varible,i/o defininations,constants also

·
Premium Member
5,858 Posts
all i have to type is ?

K1 = IsOn
K1 = IsOff
"the thing for pause" i dunno it
k2=ison
k2=isoff

or do i have to type all the other stuff ?varible,i/o defininations,constants also
Firstly, you can't expect to just jump in and understand it all. You have to ease into it. I STRONGLY suggest this tutorial and intro into controllers:
http://wolfstone.halloweenhost.com/Controllers/_MainControllers.html

See the section at the bottom on programming. It's a nice place to start and they do a pretty good job of easing you into it. It's how I learned to program the prop-1.

Also, try to go into this with a "can do" attitude. If you dive in thinking "I'm never going to be able to do this," it can adversely effect the learning process.

If I can do this, anyone can. :)

I also have to say, that for the average haunter, there's a fair amount of the PBASIC language that isn't too useful to us, so it's highly unlikely you'll even need to learn the more difficult stuff.

·
Registered
4,949 Posts
Thanks for the leads I figure if i can learnC++ to program a phone switch from the manuals I can do this.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Here is a link to the Parallax Basic Stamp Syntax and Programming Manual. EFX-TEK was a spin-off company from Parallax. John Williams and John Barrowman worked for Parallax and spun-off to start EFX-TEK.

Here's another document that you may find usefull : The elements of PBASIC style.

EFX-TEK also has a document called Prop-1 programming basics. I had a problem with the link, so if you can't get it, PM me and I can send you a copy.

The above documents are a good place to get started. I'm sure John Williams would be more than happy to help you with the programming on the EFX-TEK forum. He's helped may people.

Here is a link to a thread of my Monster In a Box I created using a Prop-1 controller.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts