Haunt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Note: Let me put my re-linked video in Oct 2013 here so it cuts to the chase and since I don't link to other pictures and my other vids. I re-linked it elsewhere in this thread where a link showed up to keep it making sense.

This was started in 2007 as a separate clean thread about a topic that came up in one of my other threads about the Kmart flying ghost that some people seem to have.

I found the continuous flight hack instructions from 2005. The poster's ID was "stripe" (on another forum I think) to give credit where credit is due.

Here's his hack instructions: "The Tekky Toys flying ghost stops after one pass and then starts again if it hears a loud noise. I wanted it to keep going so I took it apart by pulling the skirt all the way up and over the ghost and pulling up the padding to get at all 8 screws. Disconnect the microphone (silver disc) and wrap the two microphone wires together. Reassemble (check to make sure the arm levers are connected to the waving arms). Now, much to the pleasure of my neighbors, my ghost keeps groaning and flying, groaning and flying, groaning and flying,[...]"

I tried it in 2007. It's a really simple hack. It works perfectly. It works whether the switch is turned on to sound or no sound.

Note: The long cord probably needs to be as taught (sp) as possible which isn't always easy. I used two posts I made kind of like a badminton net.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I got the original one three years ago from Kmart for $15.99 plus tax. As goofy as it is it has it's charm. It was a big hit with the ToT's and family a like. Especially since a fluorescent black light bolt makes it glow without needing any RIT or bleach as shown in the video.

I got another one post-Halloween 50% off. Then the last two they had a couple weeks after Halloween a couple years ago. Those were a mere $1.59. That's right 90% off! I hope to get all four flying. Two in the yard. One inside a mausoleum. And one in the window.

Spirit Halloween Superstores sold different versions of it last year much smaller ones. It had a menacing face that just didn't fit the type of prop it is. I like the Kmart friendly cartoony face. Other haunters despise the cuteness factor and completely hack the look of the ghost

Spirit also had a bat, a vampire and a witch I think in the past.

The manufacturer is tekky toys

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thinking outloud I wonder why Tekky Toy designed it to work intermitantly with a microphone picking up loud sounds to activate the movement instead of continuous flight in the first place? Perhaps the little motor worn out or burnt out in tests? Or maybe a retail buyer thought it would be annoying so they asked for a design they could sell that wouldn't be continous? The mic wiring can always be soldered back onto the mic if you do the hack. Unless continuous use does wear out the motor then it won't work at all. I'll find out on Halloween ; )

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Gald it worked. I also wonder how much continuous flying the little guy can take. Keep us updated after Halloween to see if he lasted thru the season and how long you had him running constantly. I won't completely fire mine up 'til Halloween. Its hard to hang him anywhere he's so heavy and the bungee is so long. I have four ghosts to play with. I got lucky at my Kmart the past couple years. The last two were 90% off. I only hacked one of them so far. It looks like the wires could be easily soldered back on the mic if need be.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That would make sense. I'll see how many batteries it goes thru. It uses (3) AA. The head is pretty heavy because of the long plastic casing and that's why I wondered if the weight could stress out and burn out the small motor. But the battery drain makes sense to me now.

You would think more people who bought them would complain about the ghost stopping constantly (when the mic is properly hooked up) than complaining about dead batteries from constant flying. I guess the engineers had to make a decision one way or the other. And they opted for sound activation. Which I found stops the ghost very often because it doesn't always hear a loud enough sound to keep it moving. Two years ago my Mom kept tapping the bungee cord to get him to move which works too. So I told her about the hack LOL

·
Registered
197 Posts
If you run it constant every night be ready to replace batteries each day, I invested in the rechargable one's to cut down the expense, yes they are very power hungary little critters. Prolly cheaper to make a axworthy and run that. Time won't let me do that this year but next year it's on my first to d list post halloween.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the heads up. That's good to know from first-hand experience how long the batteries will actualy last in continuous flight. Takes the guesswork out of it. Good to know the motor doesn't burn out. I found that the 15 minute Energizer recharger units actually do recharge their batteries in 15 minutes. I called the company and they said the catch is the charger's lifespan won't last as long as a non-15 minute charger but it still lasts a long time.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey everyone. After following the instructions for this hack I seem to have run into a snag. At first this hack seemed to be working, but after a few passes it stops. I ran this a few times and there seems to be a definite pattern. The Pattern is forward, back, forward, back, then forward only a few inches and stopping without starting again. If I turn it off, wait a minute and then turn back on it repeats the same pattern. Anyone have any ideas what might be causing this? This is the first time I have run it (didn't bother messing with it before I hacked it) and I am using fresh batteries. Any help would be great.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I can make a breif comment (it's late 2:45AM here). but i took my hacked ghost out of the storage box a couple days ago. Fresh batteries and it didn't work at all. No sound no movement no nothing just like the non-hacked problem I had last year. I have a battery tester and the batteries are good. I do know that Alkaline Plus batteries made for heavy duty electronics can be used for old toys or ones that have been stored a while to give them an initial boost. but I haven't had time to try that. I have 3 other ghost here I can hack when I get time though. I think the inherent problem is it's a cheap cool product that can work. Just not always. But when I first hacked it and posted taht info here it worked non-stop just fine. Go figure.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Update: I hacked another one of my Kmart flying ghosts and tested it today. It worked great and ran just fine non-stop for the 2 hours that I tested my yard haunt display including against the wind. I had to roll my thumb across the new batteries I put in once in order for the ghost to work.

·
In Remembrance
7,565 Posts
Have you tried putting them on a longer cord, say 100+ ft. I can't see that being a problem but you never know sometimes. I have two from last year that I didn't get to for this year.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.