Haunt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Knotts Berry Farm has its annual "Haunt" every year here in Southern California.
It has been going on for over 25 years. FINALLY I got myself over there last year. What a complete waste of time for me.
They have no limit on how many people can go in. It was so packed that the fear factor was a snore factor. Yes, they put on a decent enough show but with thousands of people....sigh....
A real disappointment.

Has anyone been to any commercial haunt that has been just awesome?

·
Registered
208 Posts
when do they start hiring for that thing? I'd love to work it one year, I always miss the hire date, is it in July?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good grief! We went on a Wednesday the 18th I think it was. Probably too late in the season. Thanks for the tip about going very early in the season. Still, I think I'll pass.

·
Registered
569 Posts
There are a several of us from this forum going on Sunday October 7th. If anyone else would like to join us, we could pick a time and place to meet.

·
Registered
643 Posts
I've never been to Knott's but I always hear they do a nice job for Halloween Events. I can see how it would be bad if there were too many people. I like Cedar Point's HalloWeekends a lot in the crisp Autumn air of Ohio. I went 11 times last year with a Season Pass. My screen name and avatar are taken from one of their walk-thru haunts. I also go to ride the monster roller coasters. But the HalloWeekends event truly transforms the park from what it looks and feels like in the Summer. They use over 100 stage quality 1400-4400W LeMaitre foggers they lease.

Knott's and CP are both owned by Cedar Fair. Some of the Paramount parks CF bought are changing their Halloween Event names to Halloween Haunt (Kings Island used to be called Fear Fest). CP being the World's Largest Amusement Park and voted best for 10 years in a row can get crowded on Saturdays if the weather's nice out by Lake Erie in the Fall. The park closes for 6-7 months after October so it's a popular event for that reason also. And they're only open on Fridays thru Sundays with the Fri and Sat being open late enough for outdoor haunted walk-thru attractions. They compete with high school football on Friday Nights for family entertainment so you can have the park to yourself. Crowded Saturdays can be fun because the park is large enough and the Screamsters have more teenage girls to scare out in the open LOL. But one Sat (open noon to past midnight) they had an estimated 55,000 + attendance in one day. That was the only time I didn't go as I was working on my yard haunt display. Glad I didn't. Here's a link to a photo of the parking lot taken from the Space Spiral (the parking lot is bigger than most parks so you can imagine).

That guy takes a lot of photos so you can browse his HalloWeekend galleries. They have Screamsters in the three haunted walk-thrus who are temp employees and actors. But the three indoor haunted houses and one other outdoor haunt are college kids, frat kids, sports teams or any other group that wants to raise money. So the good thing is there is more variety each day. Some of them are really into it and do a good job while others get worn out fast or don't care. It's mostly well done though and depends on how busy they are.

They added a parade this year. They took Kings Island's cars from their Winter Fest parade to build the CP HalloWeeknds floats. They look pretty cool. They have inflatables on top but they don't look cheesy. I don't have photos because it was in the middle of a torrential downpour as I ran past them testing the floats.

Bottom line is I'd like to go to Knott's one of these days. But man am I glad I'm close enough to Cedar Point. They had a bonus weekend for Season Pass holders and previewed some HalloWeekends stuff. It's going to be fun.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
We might be getting a contract from Knott's to build them a giant animated Rock Monster. I hope it comes through because I want to work on one of those before the company cuts me loose... it's sort of like Creative Visions' mascot/signature creature.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Here's a behind the scenes of some of the Cedar Point Halloween parade floats. Photo gallery link. CP gave a roller coaster club a tour. So someone took photos. The Stone Gollum is cool. Two of them are inflatables. They're in the backlot so they aren't inflated. The names on the gameboards for the Monster Under the Bed float are fun (the giant monster when infalted is colorful and looks like that multi-eyed monster in Monty Pythons Holy Grail movie). The other inflatable is a giant spider. I saw them inflated this weekend but didn't have a camera. Note the speaker systems in the columns and the seat for the driver. I think they're planning & design dept did these. And they did them in a short amount of time. I think they did pretty good overall. They have to appeal to families.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Wow another C.P. fan like us !!!

I've never been to Knott's but I always hear they do a nice job for Halloween Events. I can see how it would be bad if there were too many people. I like Cedar Point's HalloWeekends a lot in the crisp Autumn air of Ohio. I went 11 times last year with a Season Pass. My screen name and avatar are taken from one of their walk-thru haunts. I also go to ride the monster roller coasters. But the HalloWeekends event truly transforms the park from what it looks and feels like in the Summer. They use over 100 stage quality 1400-4400W LeMaitre foggers they lease.

Knott's and CP are both owned by Cedar Fair. Some of the Paramount parks CF bought are changing their Halloween Event names to Halloween Haunt (Kings Island used to be called Fear Fest). CP being the World's Largest Amusement Park and voted best for 10 years in a row can get crowded on Saturdays if the weather's nice out by Lake Erie in the Fall. The park closes for 6-7 months after October so it's a popular event for that reason also. And they're only open on Fridays thru Sundays with the Fri and Sat being open late enough for outdoor haunted walk-thru attractions. They compete with high school football on Friday Nights for family entertainment so you can have the park to yourself. Crowded Saturdays can be fun because the park is large enough and the Screamsters have more teenage girls to scare out in the open LOL. But one Sat (open noon to past midnight) they had an estimated 55,000 + attendance in one day. That was the only time I didn't go as I was working on my yard haunt display. Glad I didn't. Here's a link to a photo of the parking lot taken from the Space Spiral (the parking lot is bigger than most parks so you can imagine).

That guy takes a lot of photos so you can browse his HalloWeekend galleries. They have Screamsters in the three haunted walk-thrus who are temp employees and actors. But the three indoor haunted houses and one other outdoor haunt are college kids, frat kids, sports teams or any other group that wants to raise money. So the good thing is there is more variety each day. Some of them are really into it and do a good job while others get worn out fast or don't care. It's mostly well done though and depends on how busy they are.

They added a parade this year. They took Kings Island's cars from their Winter Fest parade to build the CP HalloWeeknds floats. They look pretty cool. They have inflatables on top but they don't look cheesy. I don't have photos because it was in the middle of a torrential downpour as I ran past them testing the floats.

Bottom line is I'd like to go to Knott's one of these days. But man am I glad I'm close enough to Cedar Point. They had a bonus weekend for Season Pass holders and previewed some HalloWeekends stuff. It's going to be fun.
Cool info above,.....we are huge C.P. fANS too and have been many times, we live only 3 hrs. south of it, we've been to H.W. there too, it was fantastic, its rated the fifth best haunt at parks with Knotts and Universal being 1 and 2. We have copy a lot of stuff from C.P. and K.I.'s for our maze here at the house. Oh P.s. FrightZone does rock wish more parks would do that on that level, K.I.'s is not as good, their zones are too tight and small.

·
Registered
643 Posts
I still hadn't made it to KI's. I have seen photos of it. The orange barrel walk thru is a funny idea for that part of Ohio since it's right off the highway and orange barrels are always out around Cinci. I may get there next year since the new Cedar Point 2008 season Platinum $140 passes will be good at any Cedar Fair park including KI and Knotts.

The animated stone gollum in CP's new parade float is shown brieifly in
(at 2:25 min)

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
The animated stone gollum in CP's new parade float is shown brieifly in this youttube video of a haunt trade show (at 2:25 min)
Yep! That's a Creative Visions Rock Monster. Made here in St. Louis. My boss designed him. I SO wanna work on one of those! Yeah I'll probably just end up cutting the steel and drilling the holes for the frame but hey... it's a Rock Monster. It's one of the reasons I applied there!

·
Registered
643 Posts
That's cool! I see it now on the web site creativevisionsonline. It's everyone's favorite of those who have seen it at Cedar Point behind the scenes. I saw him in the rain standing still. It looked cool just standing there. I'll see him in action this weekend. I can say Hey I know who did that! The posture reminds me of those huge guys in Lord of the Rings that would open the gates. Or the Rancor in ROTJ. Here's a link to what the float looks like in the backlot. It has speakers hidden inside the columns. The driver sits within those small graveyard fence sections. It's pretty loud from the test I heard. I think kids are going to want his autograph :)

·
Registered
643 Posts
That's hilarious!

Revenant, here's the Rock Monster in the Cedar Point parade in case you missed the link in the other thread. (I had to remember the Rock Monster info was in this one). Different views:

[nomedia]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThsHHhbZVH4[/nomedia]

[nomedia]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsMFjvn2U5k[/nomedia]

[nomedia]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77wPS3cHdDM[/nomedia]

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.