Haunt Forum banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
8,110 Posts
My wife anted to know where the "clickers" were. I'm guessing it's on the back of the skull? How do you use them, with your thumb? I love this idea, and just told my wife I have to build one now! LOL

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Wow.
I like that!
Interesting use for a skull.
Is it easy/comfy to use?

....My mouse is jealous of your mouse.
Well, it's actually fairly ergonomic. the way your hand and wrist sit when holding it is very straight since the buttons are way toward the back at the crack. The only downside is thatthe ball of my hand can't rest on the desk/mousepad. Not very comfy on top of my desk which sits a bit high, but my keyboard tray is fairly lower so it actually puts my elbow in a neutral position. The only change I would make would be to thin out the button flex reliefs a tad more to make the buttons easier to press. I'm going to try to put together a How-To eventually.

That is so cool!!!!! Hey Techy, aside from me saying "sveeet mouse"!, how much would you charge for one?
Thanks Fangsy. I don't know about charging for one just yet. This project was a big learnign experience for me. For the most part it started when I was looking at a thrifty skull and i held it in my hand and thought (out loud), "I bet this would make a cool mouse." And then Teary responded, "Well, don't wonder.... DO IT!" :D

My wife anted to know where the "clickers" were. I'm guessing it's on the back of the skull? How do you use them, with your thumb? I love this idea, and just told my wife I have to build one now! LOL
you can see the mouse buttons fairly well in this pic:
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y213/kristy510/challenge/DSCF1361.jpg

they are placed way toward the back of the skull where the 'lid' meets the main section of the skull. :) They all click fairly well too, with a very natural feel.

All and all, I'm happy with how this turned out. It's going to be my companion to my laptop at many a D&D table to come :)

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I also wanted to say, Thank you everyone for being so supportive of me. This is the first prop that I've built that began from my own imagination. Though, I know it's not something to go out in the yard, or to be part of a traditional display, I know that I'll, personally, get teh same enjoyment from it. Year round also. :)

Heck, who knows. maybe i can make it part of some kind of hands on, interactive halloween exibit type thing so the ToTs could play some computer stuff :D

·
Registered
453 Posts
That is one terrific concept. And don't worry about "traditional" prop displays. A prop need not be in a yard. It's still a prop whether it's sitting on the front steps, on your mantle, or in this case, on your computer desk.

·
Premium Member
5,858 Posts
I think if I did it, I would have found a way to put the left button inside the left eye socket, the right inside the right eye socket and the center button inside the nose.

Now that I think of it, the nose probably wouldn't be the best place for a center button. It'd probably be uncomfortable to have your middle finger lower than the other two.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
I think if I did it, I would have found a way to put the left button inside the left eye socket, the right inside the right eye socket and the center button inside the nose.

Now that I think of it, the nose probably wouldn't be the best place for a center button. It'd probably be uncomfortable to have your middle finger lower than the other two.
------and who want to sit at the computer with their finger up their nose???:googly:

·
Registered
5,423 Posts

Actually that was KJ's first though too on it but he then deciced that looking at the back of the skull on the desk wasn't what he wanted. Also the eyes would be further down than the placement of where the buttons are now. I don't think it would be as comfy to use if they were.

·
Hillbilly Wrangler
3,472 Posts
Thats actually really cool. I would have probably purchased something like that. Nice job.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Thanks bunches guys, all the positive support you guys give is what makes this site the best out there.

And now, for story time :)

So, I took the skull mouse with me to play D&D like I do most Fridays. It was well liked there, but my one friend who's into painting miniatures told me it needs "MOAR PAINT!" He thinks if I added a few more layers, I could get a much more realistic look.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
lol, very cool!
Although I think I would have a slight bit of trouble keeping my rank in CounterStrike with that thing lol

21 - 40 of 45 Posts