Haunt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Starting in March we will be giving away one Kristen Lawrence "A Broom With a View" CD on the first Tuesday of every month to the first person to correctly answer a Halloween-related trivia question here on HauntForum.com.

We will post the question at 12:00 Noon (Eastern Time) as a reply to this thread. The first person to reply with a correct answer will win a CD.

We will be giving away THREE CDs in October one disc on the First, Second and third Tuesday.

There is a limit of one CD per person, so if you win one you are not eligible to win again.

For more info on Kristen's music (which is quite wonderful), please visit HalloweenCarols.com. Show some love and buy a Disc if you love what you hear. :)

Kristen's Facebook Fan Page
Kristen's MySpace Page

Remember to check back on this thread this Tuesday for the first question.

·
Premium Member
5,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok, time for the first question. The first reply with the correct answer wins!

How did bats come to be associated with Halloween?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Samhain, the pagan holiday associated with Halloween, was celebrated with the burning of bonfires, an act which attracted insects to the revelry. Bats, in turn, were attracted by the insects, giving them a nice little feast to dine on and thus became associated with the celebration as well.

·
Premium Member
5,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dolsen's got the answer! Congratulations.

We will have another trivia question on April 6, 2010 at 12:00 Noon (Eastern Time).

·
Premium Member
5,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's time for April's question... a few days late! Sorry. :p

Anyhow,

"Prior to pumpkins being used as Jack 'O Lanterns, what vegetable was traditionally used in Ireland for Jack 'O Lanterns?"

·
Registered
8,110 Posts
carving turnips, beets and potatoes and lighting them with embers

"The tradition of pumpkin carving began not with carving pumpkins, but carving turnips, beets, and potatoes. Hundreds of years ago, the Irish were the first to create "jack o' lanterns" which became synonymous with the tradition of Halloween, which dates back two thousand years when the celts celebrated November 1 as the new year when harvesting began and winter came, and also death. "

Source: http://www.canucarve.com/history.php

·
DeceptiProp
5,851 Posts
I heard it was turnips but it was the brits who started it. It was adopted by Scottland. Of course I still like the carving of the block of cheese. That had to stop because the cheese was being melted by the candles. LOL Of course that might be cool too. LOL

Just give me the prize already. LOL

·
Premium Member
5,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Evil Queen wins the prize this round! Yes, it was in face Turnips.

When the Irish emigrated to America, they found the Pumpkin to be a much easier fruit to use for this practice than the turnip.

Keep your eyes peeled here and on our Facebook Page for the next month's Kristen Lawrence CD Giveaway.

·
Premium Member
5,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm a day late on the question again this month. :p First correct answer wins a Kristen Lawrence CD!

When Celtic lands were conquered by Romans, the ancient Samhain (original Halloween) celebrations merged with the feast for a Roman goddess. Which goddess was this and what was she the goddess of?

I'll be back to check on your answers in an hour. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
I know, Dire

I think you got me on that one.

Looks like I don't read instructions. I've not changed since high school. 'Grats on the win. :D

·
Administrator
10,700 Posts
I don't know....
aljmac seemed to have the full answer first.

Looks like you'll have to check the edits on this one ZF.

·
Administrator
10,700 Posts
Since you both joined today - welcome to the forum you two.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.