Haunt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Meet Mr. Lo Pan he sits on this dilapidated stack of crates and plays haunting flute music late into the night, his dead eyes stare off into the

bamboo forest watching for....

And yes I like "Big trouble in Little China"

Cost
Item Cost
Horn Hat 12
Pipe flange 2.58
24 inch threaded pipe 2.25
Paints 7
Screws 0.1
Nails 0.25
Epoxy putty 0.25
Muslin 6 yards 4.74
Wood Free
Cheese cloth 0.25
Sculpt or coat 0.25
Chickenwire 3
PVC 1
Armature wire 0.25
Candles 6.33
Urethane skull 2
2 urethane hands 4
Duct tape 0.25
Paper clay .50
2 roll-on balls Free
Glue 0.50
Plastic varnish 1.00
Leather .25
hair scrap .25
Total 49.00

I spent the majority of the build time painting with about 15 hours or so spent painting and looking at his clothing, I used a fair amount of acrylic paint by way of acrylic wash (acrylic paint mixed with water) to get his cloak and clothing to look right. His hands are casts of my own hands I made from flexwax, and then cast in urethane foam and painted with an airbrush. I think the biggest difficulty was putting his cloak on him once I had the Monster Mud on it, it is in 2 pieces but it is still very large in each half is 2.5 yards or so in length and once the Monster Mud was on each half they were very heavy and hard to handle by myself. Everything you see on his character except for his hands, head, hat and flute is Monster Mud.

Thanks for looking.

Here is a blog post on what his build progress looked like.

Blog Entry

·
Hillbilly Wrangler
3,222 Posts
OMG!!! THAT is buy far one of the best ever!!! WOW!!! Krough, seriously excellent job. That is just wonderful and very realistic.

·
Registered
988 Posts
WOW, Krough! Outstanding!! Really great both in concept and execution. I think what really stands out to me is the pose. You'd never know it was just pipe and chicken wire underneath it all - really naturalistic looking. Again, really well done. I love the bamboo - it really adds to the mood.

I did have one question though, and this is in no way meant as a criticism as I really love all your props, but I was curious as to how you work all the very different props together? Do you have a large yard with different themes in different areas or have you worked out an overall theme to tie all of the dissimilar elements together? Just inquiring minds. :)

·
Registered
988 Posts
WOW, Krough! Outstanding!! Really great both in concept and execution. I think what really stands out to me is the pose. You'd never know it was just pipe and chicken wire underneath it all - really naturalistic looking. Again, really well done. I love the bamboo - it really adds to the mood.

I did have one question though, and this is in no way meant as a criticism as I really love all your props but I was curious as to how you work all the very different props together? Do you have a large yard with different themes in different areas or have you worked out an overall theme to tie all of the dissimilar elements together? Just inquiring minds. :)

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Great job Krough! I'm sure everyone will take a second look and wonder if that's a real person or not! I admire your talent!! (and envy it too!)

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

I did have one question though, and this is in no way meant as a criticism as I really love all your props but I was curious as to how you work all the very different props together? Do you have a large yard with different themes in different areas or have you worked out an overall theme to tie all of the dissimilar elements together? Just inquiring minds. :)
I actually have a very small yard. LOL
I mainly do a graveyard on one side. And the Witches Shanty/Bayou on the other, I think Mr. Lo Pan will occupy the porch of "Myrtles House of tetanus and Botulism". I also don't use all the props each year.

·
Premium Member
3,168 Posts
Wow, Krough, if the bar gets raised any higher I won't be able to reach my beer! That is so realistic, I'm still not sure he isn't breathing. "Big Trouble..." crossed my mind, too, when I saw the name. One of my favorites (or maybe I'm just a Kim Cattrall fan). Super job, Krough.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.