Haunt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good afternoon fellow members-

I'm putting together a business plan to open a new haunt. WOW! Lots of work (but fulfilling and exciting). I have reached out to one of the Haunt Masters here who has told me to give him a call (wooo hooo).

My question is, a lot of haunts either have volunteers, paid workers or a mix of both.

How can you have volunteers for a for-profit business. If you give a portion of proceeds to charity, does that allow you to recruit volunteers? Do you have them do it as independent contractors?

Just trying to get this together & wanted to know how YOU handle it.

(hope this is in the right forum)

·
Administrator
10,700 Posts
Welcome to the forum cigsm :)

Hopefully some of our pro haunt people can get back to you with answers soon. Don't be discouraged if it takes a few days since everyone is very busy right now.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Hauntiholik! I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE this forum! So informational. The past week I literally have started in each forum from the LAST page & worked my way to the front. I'm almost done reading the entire thing :)

Trying to soak up as much info as necessary. I'm ready to dedicate 110% to this and make it succesful.

·
Registered
25 Posts
thanks hauntiholik! I loooooooooooooooooove this forum! So informational. the past week i literally have started in each forum from the last page & worked my way to the front. I'm almost done reading the entire thing :)

trying to soak up as much info as necessary. I'm ready to dedicate 110% to this and make it succesful.
a+

·
Registered
334 Posts
Some pay, some don't but I think the better haunts pay and that's how I think it should be.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Some pay, some don't but I think the better haunts pay and that's how I think it should be.
I just don't understand how they do that. Meaning, the law states if you're a for profit organization you must pay at least minimum wage to each employee, including paying for unemployment, taxes, social security, etc.

So the pro haunts that have volunteers, how do they get around that?

·
Registered
334 Posts
From what I'm told they declare themselves a 501 c3, non-profit organization. Sometimes they do it through a shell company or something, not sure on the specifics. Also, there are haunts who do shady things and skirt the law. I've had haunts who tell employees they don't have to pay minimum wage because it seasonal work, which is bullsh*t.

·
Super Moderator
64,106 Posts
Not a haunt comment, but a general minimum wage comment - seasonal workers are exempt from minimum wage laws in some states, and some states have no minimum wage laws, as shown in the link here:

http://www.dol.gov/whd/minwage/america.htm?cm_sp=ExternalLink-_-Federal-_-DOL

As with any business, if you are setting up a pro haunt, you would want to do a little research on your state's labor laws as far as payment of wages go.

An independent contractor (sometimes called a 1099 contractor) is often not protected under minimum wage laws. There is a good discussion of that topic here:

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-a-1099-contractor.htm

·
Registered
334 Posts
The haunt was in Arizona where minimum wage is $7.25 and they were trying to pay people only $4 something.

If you're a contractor get everything in writing and I mean EVERYTHING! Get it signed in blood if you can.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Roxy Blue! Youre a monster & a scholar ;)

Not a haunt comment, but a general minimum wage comment - seasonal workers are exempt from minimum wage laws in some states, and some states have no minimum wage laws, as shown in the link here:

http://www.dol.gov/whd/minwage/america.htm?cm_sp=ExternalLink-_-Federal-_-DOL

As with any business, if you are setting up a pro haunt, you would want to do a little research on your state's labor laws as far as payment of wages go.

An independent contractor (sometimes called a 1099 contractor) is often not protected under minimum wage laws. There is a good discussion of that topic here:

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-a-1099-contractor.htm

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Definitely be careful with "1099" contractors as at any time if the IRS decides in their infinite wisdom that they are instead employees then you are on the hook for payment of collected income taxes(which as 1099 you have not collected on thier behalf as well as all the required company/employee contributions for social security/medicare)

And the lovely thing is they can go back up to 10 years to decide this..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So how do you guys all do it?

If you have volunteers how do you work it if you're a for profit biz?

If you don't have volunteers do you pay minimum wage or do you do Independent Contractors? If you do IC's how do you get around the "cant tell them what hours to work" thing?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts