Votes: 8 42.1%
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A forum member here has brought it to my attention that he/she feels that the amount of "bad language" floating around on the forums of late has started to increase and that it sort of hurts the Halloween image.

We do have members as young as 13 here and while I think it's probably nothing they haven't heard (or even said) before themselves, it raises the question "Should I turn the Forums' word censor on?"

I'm looking for some input from everyone on this, so feel free to toss in your $0.02 on this issue. You can also anonymously vote in the poll attached to this thread if you don't wish to publicly let your feelings be known.

It's my personal feeling that we don't need it... we are all our own self-censors and anything we say only stands to hurt our own image and not the overall image of the Halloween community. I also believe that anyone that already looks negatively upon the Halloween community (of which we are only a small part of) will do so regardless of whether or not we use dirty language.

In the future, it is possible that I will be able to let each individual member turn the word censor on or off for themselves, but at present it's a global setting that I either turn on or off for everyone.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
With a little imagination I could still make a bikers cringe and sailors blush, and never trip the word censor.Although I do try to keep my languge in check, sometimes the simple four letter words are a much better alternative than some of the stuff I can spew out.:D

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
HibLaGrande said:
With a little imagination I could still make a bikers cringe and sailors blush...:D
Well, I'm a sailor and I don't swear! It's just never been one of my vices (not to worry - I've got plenty of others:devil:), however, swearing doesn't really offend me, even if those doing so are trying to compensate for something else, but I digress.

·
Banned
764 Posts
dougspaulding said:
Well, I'm a sailor and I don't swear! It's just never been one of my vices (not to worry - I've got plenty of others:devil:), however, swearing doesn't really offend me, even if those doing so are trying to compensate for something else, but I digress.
Well i did't mean to sound like every other word that comes out of my mouth is swearing, but i do use them. I totaly agree with the compensate for somthing else though. Like no vocab.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I'm not a fan of censorship.
And I'm certainly not a boyscout.
In my 58 years I've heard it all from little old ladies to kids.
I believe that sometimes you need to use strong language to make a strong point.
Needless to say I have been known to let fly with such language.:D
I try to watch when and where I use it though, its too easy for people to sue over something that offends them.:mad:

The thing that bothers me about such language is I've heard it used in front of little kids for no other purpose other than to just say it.
The boss where I work uses it like it is just another word no matter who is present, customers, kids, women, etc.
But he tells the rest of us to watch our language in front of women and kids or he will chew our butts.

It seems to me that this language has become so common place that people don't even realize what they are saying.
I've heard 8 year old kids use this language, they say they have heard it before and figure it is O.K. to use it themselves since everyone else does it.

Its in the movies, on the web, on the streets, and at home.
Where do you draw the line?
I personally don't know.
Four letter words don't offend me, I'm too old for that.:)
Besides I've done it so many times myself.

Maybe it is the way I was brought up.
I believe there is a time and place for everything.
It just makes me wonder whats going on when I hear little kids cuss each other out, and I wonder what the world has come to.

As for the language on this forum, it doesn't bother me.
I feel each one of us are grown people with ideas to express and sometimes the language is called for.
I do like the idea of self sensorship, the people here are intelligent people, so over all sensorship in my opinion is unnessary.

·
DeceptiProp
5,851 Posts
Honor system has always worked. If someone doesn't honor it then kick them to the curb. Will the sensor ship show the site down? If not to much, I guess it wouldn't hurt.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Self-Censorship is better

I'm told by my husband I swear like a wounded pirate. But when I post something, I usually don't use that language. But there may be a time it's appropriate to use a four letter word.
I agree self-censorship is the best. So I say no, don't turn it on. And guys, even though we're mixed company, don't hold it against me. :p

Sue

P.S.
A lot of sites have a minimum age to join. Perhaps that would be a better way to go. Minimum age of 13 is good.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Michigal said:
I'm told by my husband I swear like a wounded pirate. But when I post something, I usually don't use that language...
It's the same for me :)
I don't think censorship is necessary either and I agree that having a minimum age requirement is a good idea.

·
Banned
764 Posts
I agree with the right time and place like smashing finger nail with hammer......i see words flying mandatory, But im not saying anyones wrong b/c censorship is never a good thing. But we do have some young ones on forum also so.........

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
kryptonoff said:
I agree with the right time and place.........
That reminds me of one episode of The Andy Griffith Show when Barney, while trying to cross the street, meets a truck which can't stop in time, and runs up on his foot. After the driver backs off his foot and gets out, Barney is yelling at him in short, truncated spurts, then turns to young Opie, and says "You better go inside Op - you're crampin' my language!"

Time and a place? I guess so.

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
dougspaulding said:
however, swearing doesn't really offend me, even if those doing so are trying to compensate for something else, but I digress.
You have known me for YEARS, do you think I'm trying to compensate for something, O best friend of mine, or that I can't articulate any point I have to bring across without the use of "Foul Language"? Rubbish! This may be true of some people, but you know and everyone here knows that this doesn't apply in some cases, and I am one of those.

What I do find hard to believe is that someone who so advocates a holiday that has had it's share of staunch opponents, would get so offended by someone's use of the word "****," or any other word to that end. I NEVER use words that are solely used to demean women. I abhor the use of the dreaded "C" word as this word is meant to hurt and degrade, nothing more.

As for my own use of expletives, I just like to do so. End of story.

So, does anyone else have something they would like to *BEEP* about?

·
Banned
764 Posts
Sinister said:
You have known me for YEARS, do you think I'm trying to compensate for something, O best friend of mine, or that I can't articulate any point I have to bring across without the use of "Foul Language"? Rubbish! This may be true of some people, but you know and everyone here knows that this doesn't apply in some cases, and I am one of those.

What I do find hard to believe is that someone who so advocates a holiday that has had it's share of staunch opponents, would get so offended by someone's use of the word "****," or any other word to that end. I NEVER use words that are solely used to demean women. I abhor the use of the dreaded "C" word as this word is meant to hurt and degrade, nothing more.

As for my own use of expletives, I just like to do so. End of story.

So, does anyone else have something they would like to *BEEP* about?
No one is saying that you are a hillbilly "God we know how you feel about ********" or not Intelligent. Might be looked at as manors or respect point of veiw though. Please dont slam me about the ******* and hillbilly thing. :::::::cringes:::::::

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I want to say... leave for two days and jez all kinds of censership stuff and swearing is a big deal :rolleyes: . Let me say this Swearing is not a big deal, at least I don't see it that way, their just words. Some people may find them offensive but why? Its like crying over spilt milk... which I now do because apperently it gives you prostate cancer... Anyway it makes me no never mind because its just a ground of words, nothing more.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
claymud said:
...their just words.
Right. They're nothing more than gutteral utterings, a vibration of the vocal cords, a reverberation within the voicebox.

The only real issue is why do some folks use nothing but swears.

·
Registered
763 Posts
I don't think word censorship is necessary. I'm an old bat, heard the words; use 'em myself on occasion. My only offense to words are those used to degrade others. I know there are teens in the forum but they probably have already been long exposed to the language seen here and are not affected one way or the other.

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
kryptonoff said:
No one is saying that you are a hillbilly "God we know how you feel about ********" or not Intelligent. Might be looked at as manors or respect point of veiw though. Please dont slam me about the ******* and hillbilly thing. :::::::cringes:::::::
Where's that wet noodle I keep handy around here? It's high time someone taught Krypt about his place in the pecking order! :D

I understand where you're coming from, and I agree that this is probably very well the issue some one has. However, I'm not going to change the way I post for nothing or nobody. I don't go out of my way to offend, and if someone has an issue with me, please feel free to PM me about it. I promise I won't bite any heads off. :D

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.