Haunt Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally went and bought some latex. Im using Vlads way of making skulls... I need to know a couple things about it.

:jol: First: Rubber latex is ok yes?

:xbones: Second: Does it stick to surfaces? Do I need to apply something to the skull first?

:zombie: Third: Can you blow dry it?

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so if it sticks to surfaces...how the hell do you get it off? lol
or you mean it sticks when applied? Cause I meant is it easy to pull off with out damaging the skull.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hmm i pulled it off but its not super thick...i put 2 brush coats on...then cheesecloth, then 2 more brushings..last one a little thicker. But it doesnt seem to be thick enough to be stable. Like its similar to a halloween mask, floppy...this ok? or not good for a mould?

·
Registered
458 Posts
hmm i pulled it off but its not super thick...i put 2 brush coats on...then cheesecloth, then 2 more brushings..last one a little thicker. But it doesnt seem to be thick enough to be stable. Like its similar to a halloween mask, floppy...this ok? or not good for a mould?
I just started another skull mold yesterday and I have three coats of (thick) latex on them. I'll probably put two more coats on before I even think about the cheesecloth layer. After that another 4 or 5 coats of latex then one more layer of cheesecloth. I'll finish it off with another 3 or 4 coats of latex (maybe more). It's been two years since I've made a latex mold and I forget exactly how many layers of each I applied. I'll keep track this time ;)
Also, you'll want to use a good quality latex like "Mold Builder" for the mold, it's very thick so you won't need as many layers.

It takes a lot of layers to make a mold that is strong enough to pour plaster into without the mold crumpling. If you're going to make a plaster mother mold with the latex mold inside, then the latex mold doesn't have to be as thick because the mother mold will support it.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
oh I like your way....is plaster heavy? does it melt in rain?

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
Cheetah. Liquid mold building latex is what you need to use. Mold building latex has added solids which make the layers build up faster. Regular latex used for corpsing or mask making is too thin to do the job. Latex doesn't want to stick to anything but itself. It will however remove paint and or applied finishes, just by virtue of it being tacky. When in doubt, experiment with a small section of an original before going all out.
Begin by applying one thin coat, taking care not to trap any air bubbles. It's this first coat of latex that picks up the details off of the original, and determines the quality of the "pulls" or castings. After the first coat has had some time to dry, but is still tacky to the touch is the time to apply a second heavier layer. Never apply "thick" layers. They take longer to dry, can actually pull lower layers from the original by stretching them, and tend to trap air bubbles which can weaken your mold during the stretching that occurs during the removal of castings It's usually recommended to apply coats no more than 24 hours after each other, although I have gone as long as a week between coatings without any noticeable problems or seperation. After the second layer has become tacky, is the time to begin altering layers of cheesecloth impregnated with latex, followed by layers of pure latex. It's a matter of trial and error until you determine how thick is thick enough, but I've gotten to the point where I no longer use mother molds at all. all in all, I probably apply at least a dozen layers to each mold.
It is NEVER a good idea to apply heat in any way to latex. You'll just have to use a little patience in between layers. Extremes in heat and cold are the prime killers of latex.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So whats the best way to make skulls? Mold and Mache?
And what the hell can I do with this rubber latex then?
Whats is good for?

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
The best way to make skulls is determined by what use you intend to put them to. If you just need a pile of skulls, that won't be too closely scrutinized, then you can just make rough mache' copies over an original skull. If you're looking for skulls that look good, but are just display pieces, than you can't beat making a latex mold, and casting plaster ones. Very cheap and fast. If you're looking for skulls that look good, and can be used on PVC frames, or as part of animated figures, or need to stand up to the elements, then I suggest making a latex mold, and casting skulls from two part polyurethane foams.
As far as the non-mold making latex, use it for corpsing, or creating hands, converting foam wig heads, or creations based off of wire frame armatures.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Vlad its time for the 2007 on-line Class All the molders and latex fans you have following are needing help. I would like to see some stuff on painting latex what works what does not etc. I have seen some latex stuff like scars and cuts that goe on your face and neck that look great. I know thats off the molding path but the same latex can be used right ? I painted some latex stuff I made last year and the paint flaked off eventually on parts of it. I cant remember if I used spray paint or the craft paint it was one of them. I would like to make a latex copy of my hands but I cant wait that long for it to dry unless you have a method that may work. I tried to make a plaster cast them fill it with latex but it didn't work out right I did something wrong and the plaster gets hotter than I was expecting as well.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Vlad its time for the 2007 on-line Class All the molders and latex fans you have following are needing help. I would like to see some stuff on painting latex what works what does not etc. I have seen some latex stuff like scars and cuts that goe on your face and neck that look great. I know thats off the molding path but the same latex can be used right ? I painted some latex stuff I made last year and the paint flaked off eventually on parts of it. I cant remember if I used spray paint or the craft paint it was one of them. I would like to make a latex copy of my hands but I cant wait that long for it to dry unless you have a method that may work. I tried to make a plaster cast them fill it with latex but it didn't work out right I did something wrong and the plaster gets hotter than I was expecting as well.
If you mix latex into your acrylic paint that should help the paint to bond to the latex you are painting and is cheaper than using latex specific paints.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
hmmm...interesting. I used spray paints. 1 Enamel spray...and Acrylic for small details. Hope it doesn't peel off. But then over all that Imma layer some stain.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Just an off topic question about Latex.......Ice got a gallon from Cementex and I left it outside a few days ago and it froze solid......I brought it in last night and it thawed out and appears to be OK but I dont know if its worth trying to use it on a prop since I let it freeze? Is it still Ok. Can ;latex take being frozen? Anybody know?:)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts