Haunt Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm working on a skull fountain. Each time I get a little further along on it I end up changing things because of one reason or another.

Skull Fountain: Halloween 2007 :: Skull Fountain - Assembled picture by hawkshillhaunter - Photobucket

Originally I wanted the "blood" to flow out of the eyes of the top skull and run down the faces of the others. That's not working. So now I'm going to run the blood up thru the top of the skull's head and down all the skulls.

But what do I do with the holes I've already drilled into the eye sockets? Is there a way I can light them up, maybe using some kind of led lights? I've never done anything with LEDs so I wouldn't have a clue about what to buy, how to connect them or anything else that goes along with them. Help please? http://s161.photobucket.com/albums/t239/hawkshillhaunter/Halloween%202007/?action=view&current=100_2781.jpg

·
Registered
502 Posts
LED's are really pretty simple to work with. You can get them anywhere from Radio Shack to Ebay, just depends on what you what as far as brightness goes (Radio Shacks are standard, not too bright - Ebay vendors have varieties that can be seen from space). Once you locate what you want, you'll need a little information such as source voltage (what will it run on - 12v dc, 9 v dc, etc), LED forward voltage (how much voltage does the LED require) and LED forward current (how much current will it flow). The first one's up to you, the last two you'll usually find in the advertising specs where you buy the LED's. You'll need to add a resistor into the mix to keep from frying your led's, but fear not, there's a place to help with that. Just take the info you gathered above and head to the link listed below. It will give you the resistor value you need and even draw a nice picture of how to set this all up. Be sure to seal everything up really well, water and electricity don't play so well together! Hope this helps.
http://led.linear1.org/led.wiz

·
Registered
35 Posts

·
Ghost Maker
2,931 Posts
Add a peice of wire between the two green LEDs. Cut a peice of wire (as thick or a little thicker than the wire coming out of the LED) long enough to stretch between the space between the eye sockets. Strip about 1/4 to 1/2 inch of insulation of each end. Now instead of connecting the short lead from D1 (bottom green LED in the picture) to the long lead of D2 (top green LED in the picture), connect the short lead of D1 to one end of the wire, and connect the other end of the wire to the long lead of D2.

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
If you are doing a lot of wiring like Johnny or Doc, a spool should be good. but you you are like me and about 80 percent of the people here and are only doing occasional things, scavenge from other stuff. It's way cheaper. LOL :D

·
Registered
190 Posts
I take a different approach.....

I took a shot in the dark and purchased these....

http://www.windycitynovelties.com/epaysoft/cart/Category.asp?CatID=272

They are AWESOME.....granted "I" think they are more than bright enough....some people might not. I am going to use them on my ghosts. They will likely only last 3-4 hours...but they are $10 bucks for a dozen, batteries included!

At that price I could not resist. I received them and already tried one. Pretty darn cool! I just wish they did not blink.. For me..I want solid red eyes. This year it will be blinking eyes...and as you know...another draw back is that the blinks might not be ...well...WILL NOT BE.....synchronized. That sucks I suppose. But now I have a resource for MANY cheap things. Check out the site...its chock full of cheap stuff.

Kevin

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.