Haunt Forum banner
41 - 60 of 153 Posts

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
for $17 dollars though for a few dollars more you can purchase a computer power supply. walk into some of mom and pop computer stores and ask them iff they have any old power supplies that they can sell you - might be cheaper. Just make sure that it can power on without a load attached. some do and some do not. Try to get one with a switch so you do not have cut the wires to make a bypass.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Why doesn't anyone use the larger high output LED's.
I know DC cannot go great distances. Is this an issue for us using 100 feet of trunk line?
I am sure this is why the low voltage landscaping lights use AC.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Why doesn't anyone use the larger high output LED's.
I know DC cannot go great distances. Is this an issue for us using 100 feet of trunk line?
I am sure this is why the low voltage landscaping lights use AC.
The larger LEDs can definitely be used, as long as you take into account the current needs. I have a few of these that I've been playing with, & let me tell ya - these suckers are bright!

100 feet shouldn't be a problem for D.C. volts.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
THANKS for the link, Vlad. I printed it out and will show it to my neighbor who I'll be seeing over the weekend (FINALLY). This was such a big help. Now at least I know what I'm looking for. Getting this for free is definitely a plus. Will bring it to the Make & Take on the 10th! I'll try and get more if I can...

·
Registered
5,721 Posts
In our make and take in NJ we went with the more common LEDs for cost. $.08 a piece including resistors. We compared a spot with 3 standard LEDs to a spot with a single high powered LED and the three cheap LEDs over-powered it.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Makes sense. If .24 cents will do it, why go with the more expensive. BTW last night I went to Lowes and compared prices useing the CPVC fittings, as used in the original article, compared to using the PVC with two bottle caps. The CPVC fittings were tiny and quickly reached $1.00 each. The pvc/bottle cap method makes a lot of sense. Thanks for shareing your inspiration.

Where did you get LED's with R for $.08 each. I can assume it was a group buy, but still sounds fantastic.

·
Registered
774 Posts
I think the pink looks more orchid and will look great for a graveyard. I think Green, blue and pink will give the best look. What do you think? The purple looks too dim.

·
Banned
2,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
WOW!!!! I set up a few scenes today and lit them with my new home-made LED lights..... OMG..... They are soooooo cool. It's not just that they are LED's and use 1/30the the power of other spotlights... it's not just that they emit nice pure colors and create a wonderful atmosphere.....They are SOOO EASY to hook up, adjust and store!!!

I did discover that I hate the self tapping screws. I kinda figured halfway through the project that they'd loosen up. So I went to small bolts with wing nuts and they are now a super fast and a super flexable lighting system. I'll post pics soon.... I'm pleased as punch after waiting 7 months to see them used for actual halloween stuff. WOW.... sometimes I have to pinch myself...

I used to use 400' of extension chords and many 3-way adaptors and power strips... and have a huge electric bill.... Now... Just a few continuous landscape lighting lines and I'm all set... WOW WOW WOW... so much time saved. and the lighting efffect is 100 times better than 120v stuff. Still looking for good UV LED's

I'll post pics soon...

·
Registered
242 Posts
niblique,

how many leds do you have in each spot? did you use standard leds or high MCD leds?

please post some pictures of your final mounting solution with the bolts and wingnuts, ive been wanting to do something like this for the past 3 years and just never got around to it, im finally ready to get this started come november.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
we made them at our make and take. This page will give you the basic design we used 3 leds per cap (soda cap) that fits into a 1 inch thin wall PVC pipe (not the schedule 40 stuff). The holes were drilled into the cap the leds inserted from the rear the leads twisted and then soldered. Test the leds if all light crazy glue the leds in the holes and then cover all the exposed connections in hot glue. Insert into the pipe and then follow Niblique's mounting. If you read through this thread you will have all the info you need to make these.

http://hauntforum.com/showthread.php?t=20601&highlight=led+spot+lights&page=15

·
Banned
2,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 · (Edited)
Thanks HP for answering the techincal part of the question.

As far as my mounting system, the changes I made are as follows:

1) I made the tube 4" instead of 3". This allows you to sink the Bottle cap containing the LED's deeper into the tube. This keeps the light more focused (Narrower beam) and more importantly it makes it easier to keep it out of the TOT's and neighbors eyes wlile still lighting the target. I take great care to focus (aim) my lights to not bother my neighbors or blind the TOT's (unless it's intentional for a special effect)).

2) I decided that I didn't want to carry a tool around with me to adjust the lights throughout the season. I ended up useing a #8X2" bolt with a #8 wingnut and a washer for my up and down adjustment.

3) I drilled a hole in every mounting plate so I could use a zip-tie or a screw to mount to just about anything quickly and easily.

4) I ditched the rubber bands to secure the vampire clips to the wire. The ones I bought decayed after 3 months. I found Black hair ties at the local dollar store. Hopefully that will be a longer lasting solution. Also, instead of just going around the clip I actiually go around the wire twice to help secure the pigtails to the fixtures as well as the vampire clip.

Night time pics can be seen here http://www.hauntforum.com/showthread.php?t=24210

Here are some daytime pics of the finished lights.

A grouping mounted on my 150 year old oak tree

Mounted to my RR Tie wall: Note the connection to the main wire.

A ground cluster of 6 colored lights for the Gravestones, and two single white spots on the groundbreaker.

Another set mounted to my old Oak Tree. I set these up for ME to light up a frequently traveled area at nigjht as I adjust everything. On halloween I'll spin them around and aim them elsewhere. Note the wingnut on the new models.

Mounted to my new PVC Walk-through tent. Zip ties are the other tinker toy for Haunters LOL

41 - 60 of 153 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.