Haunt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Banned
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i hope im posting in right spot ..........ok here goes is 4 6000mcd leds going to be bright enough in one flood......any pictures of what kind of light a 6000mcd leds put off.

thanks in advance

·
Registered
25 Posts
LED Spots?

Hello again. This last year I used 3 outdoor spotlights for lighting of our graveyard, and while the lighting was good (visible from down the street) it was also quite bright and could blind you as walked from the door back to the street.

I'm interesting in some more focuse "task" lighting and I'd like to learn more about smaller spotlights.

I saw a reference to LED spots but have been unable to find a how-to or such.

I know I'm behind most of you in getting started on this year, and a lot of our older props did not fair well last year so it looks like lots of rebuilding.

Thanks,
Chris

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
Hi Chris,
I used LED spots in my display last year. The LEDs were typically 5000 mcd or greater with 20 degree angles (clear, not diffused cases). I buy LEDs from Digi-Key rather than R/S due to the better quality and way lower prices. All Electronics is also a good source. I posted some pics of the spotlight assembly here:
http://www.halloweengallery.com/thumbnails.php?album=277
The resistors I used were 150 ohm for 3 LEDs and 220 ohm for two LEDs. The spots worked really well for local lighting of corpses and grave markers. Let me know if you need any details on the assembly.

·
Registered
25 Posts
From your pictures I'm seeing two or three LED's wired to resistors and then put into a tube or some form, using a 9volt battery as the power source?

That looks fairly inexpensive and not to difficult to put together.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm looking at the LED's at All Electronics. Would a UV LED produced a "black light" effect?

They do have some good prices. It looks like I could buy enough material to make a 4 or 5 spotlights for less then $30 (possibly even cheaper).

How do I calculate what I need for resistors?

I had an electronics class back in 9th grade, but that was more than 20 years ago.:zombie:

·
Premium Member
5,847 Posts
Yes, the UV LEDs will produce a black light effect.

As for designing the actual circuit and figuring out what size resistor you need, check out this awesome LED array designer:

http://led.linear1.org/led.wiz

For my LEDs, I get them directly from China on eBay from Best Hong Kong. Typically (and depending on color) you can get 50 LEDs for a little more than $10... .20 each!!!

http://stores.ebay.com/BestHongKong

14,919 Posts
Coonce-Ewing,
Depend's on how you want your grave yard to look, I prefer as close to real.
In the past, I've used 100 watt blue lights put into black 5 gal. buckets straped 20 foot up into the trees. This cast a nice moon light effect and many shadows.
This also keep all of the extension cords off of the ground. They went from tree to tree.
Just a thought.

Jeff

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
Jeff, I agree on the realistic lighting. Although I used the blue and amber LED spots for local prop lighting, I still used 50 watt blue floods for the wash lights. I tried to emulate the Skull and Bone lighting method, keeping the floods close to the ground. This year I'm going to try using a lantern or two for local lighting effects as well.

·
Ghost Maker
3,014 Posts
http://www.allelectronics.com/is having a special:confused: on ultrabright LEDs, is this a good deal, and usable for LED spots?

Ultra bright white 5mm diameter LED. Brighter than most small incandescent lamps, more efficient, and now less expensive, it's time to start using white LEDs for all of the lighting projects that used to be the exclusive domain of incandescent lamps. We've got a great deal on these water-clear LEDs. Slightly less bright than our standard ultra-bright white led (CAT# LED-75), but still quite bright. They operate on 3.0-3.5Vdc, 20mA. 15-25 degree viewing angle.

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
Yes, I'd say those will work for spots. Two bucks each is not bad for white LEDs, although you could probably find a lower price on Ebay. The best price I could find at Digi-Key was $2.49, and you have to buy 100 to get that price. Part number is CMD333UWC-ND. I used these for white spots (2 per) and at 2300 mcd brightness, they worked very well.

·
Banned
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
just a suggestion but if your looking for red .........partsexpress has them for .75 cents 6000mcd.........i used them i was happy with them

·
Registered
25 Posts
The issue I have with using trees is that the one tree I have to use is at the back of the graveyard so any lights in it would be shining into the faces of the ToTers.

I put two green spots on the ground facing into the graveyard last year and a red spot on the corner of the roof. They were effective in lighting the graveyard, but the red spot was in your face if you looked at the house and one of the green spots got you as you walked from the door back down the walk to the driveway.

That's why I'm interested in the LED spots, thinking that I could do better "task" lighting that wouldn't fry people's eyes.

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
That's a problem with floods, they are difficult to position without catching someone in the face. I'm not sure that LED spots will replace floods for wash lighting, they're just not that bright or far-reaching. Here's some examples of LED spots (1 amber, 1 blue) used for individual corpses. The shot with the Bucky also shows urns with Spookyfire LED circuits in them. A static shot doesn't do them justice, the effect is more like a smoldering flame.
http://halloweengallery.com/displayimage.php?pos=-3240

·
Registered
898 Posts
LED Spot Lights

I believe I have seen someone on this Forum post information in the past on LED SPOT LIGHTS I need a GREEN one can anyone tell me where I can buy them at a decent price? Thanks all :jol:

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
Hi Bob. Look up the seller "Best Hong Kong" on ebay. That's where we get ours from.They come with free 12 volt resistors, or you can order the size resistor you need while you're ordering.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
I was just at the "source" , the old Radio Shacks, I dont know if you have them there, but I think you do. Anyway, They have green, blue, red, and other colours too. I saw about 5 different ones, just the bulbs that you can put in anything, They were definatly LED, cuz I kept calling them LEDS to my hubby and he kept saying L.E.D, but i knew that, was just bugging him...

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
Hellrazor, I don't recommend R/S LEDs for a couple of reasons: they're very dim and they're way overpriced. To make a good spotlight, you need a high MCD rating (>1500) and a focused beam LED. A good source (besides eBay) is Digi-Key. Good prices, high output. I have some pics of how I assemble an LED spotlight, it's easy and cheap, about $3 each including a battery. Let me know if you're interested.

·
Registered
898 Posts
L.E.D Spot Light

I am very interested can you please post the How-to or send it to my email? Vlad I was unable to find any lights under that company name you provided. I would like to accent all my characters as well as my grave yard with LED spots this year I would like to run them off a power supply so I dont have to worry about batterys. Thanks for the help I appreciate it. Later all. :jol:

[email protected]

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
1 - 20 of 46 Posts