Haunt Forum banner
21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
You may actually give it a try. I think fog machines are typically a bit over rated on the advertised vs actual wattage. Plus it would be a pure resistive load, so no worries about excessive inrush current like with a motor starting. The generator will actually be most fuel efficient near the max load because the throttle is nearly wide open so minimal 'pumping' losses in the engine.

On the noise, I saw a guy set up some plywood panels around his generator - sort of like a sound baffle - it cut the noise considerably. So if noise is an issue, you might look at something similar. Even a couple of acoustic ceiling tiles could make a simple baffle or if you have any sort of structure to sit it behind - anything so there is not a 'direct line of sound' between the generator and house would help.

Overall this looks like a really neat project. Looking forward to seeing it progress!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 · (Edited)
The noise of my current generator isn't much of an issue. Where it'll be sitting is just outside the basement stairs in the rear of the house, but sheltered on three sides by stone walls, so there's not a lot of spillover to the neighbors or into the house itself. There's one door inside that leads to the basement that I just have to put a blanket over and then there's almost no sound inside, and the neighboring houses don't hear anything either. I'm just leery of having to step up much in size (if it comes to it), since that comes at an increased noise level.

The genny was running at near max throttle the first test, but it's hard to say what overhead there was on it. I don't have a reliable amp/watt meter to put inline to test the output with everything loaded up, but I'll probably hook it all back up again tonight and add projectors and see what I can do about it. I mean, when everything is first turned on will be the biggest test of it. If it can survive that test and keep everything lit and heated, then in theory I should be good for the evening. I do want to get a couple backup lights though, and worst case if it's too much, I can drop the projectors. In fact, I'm gonna go do that now...

Edit: Well, as it would have it, it DOES hold all of them at power. I was a little nervous about the first power-up since that's when everything including both fog heaters at the start. I think the other big thing is my RGB floods, the two claim to be 100W but I'm pretty sure they aren't anywhere near that. Plus, they aren't RGBW, so if I'm only using one of the three LED colors (green), then in theory it's using less wattage than trying to run it as white with all three lit. I think. Whatever. Either way, I think they're only drawing more like 40ish or so, if that.

So, between the fog machines only cycling when needed (other than initial power-on), and the lights being less draw than anticipated, I think I'm fine. I'll need to get the cords out this weekend, take everything over to the house and put them in their layout positions and then test again to be sure, but.. I think it'll work.

Granted, I'm sure I'll have to refill it once at least, so hopefully I have a gap for that. I should be good for about 3 hours easily before needing to fill (I ran a lot off it when I was out of power, and it was running basically full tilt in March keeping heaters going in the house and was getting close to 4 per tank). I feel like I'm losing time in a hurry for the rest lol

21 - 22 of 22 Posts