Haunt Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Well, My display this year will be along those lines, although I wouldn't say it's really an action snap shot. I'm going for a mutant family thing in a swamp graveyard. They will all be doing "things". However it will probably be spread out to next year and possibly 2009 before I get the whole swamp scenery set up, for now it will just be a few stumps and maybe some lying timber and 3 family members in my graveyard setting.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Must admit, I had to look up the meaning of diorama. Don't we all, in theory, have our displays in that format?? A little clip of the mind of the creator?? A snapshot of the demons inside all of us!! Bwahahahahahaha!!!:D :D

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Isn't every scene basically a diarama?
I think the "action diorama" concept (correct me if I'm wrong SI) is the "snapshot in time" concept, whereyou will see an unmoving setup depicting an action scene. Motion may be suggested by the position of the prop, but it's stationary. Like a Tussaud's Wax Museum scene that has a screaming lady falling to the ground with Jack The Ripper's hand grasping her wrist, the other hand with the knife coming down... but it's the pose with no motion.

That's what my MM prop (if I can finish the damned thing) is trying for. My challenge is to create a dynamic in a static prop; if it were realistic there would be squirming and thrashing and struggling and death throes of agony but I have to suggest it entirely with positioning because nothing actually moves. A "diorama" would be all scenes of this nature.

Hope that made sense. And I hope that I'm actually on the same page with SI's idea or I'm going to feel like a real bozo.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I have thought about this as well, but decided it was a little "high-brow" for my haunts. :p

It's like comparing a good book and a summer action movie. Whereas one experience is attuned to the finer details- the emotional context, the precise state of events, and leaves the majority of the experience to the patron's own imagination and interpretation and leisure to participate, the other is a quick fix- a brief, concentrated experience that is quickly done to allow for the next Boo! down the hall. Both are similarly entertaining for our patrons, but vastly different. Running a haunt in a mall with a line at the door I have always had to favor the latter over the former, with the only stationary items 'background' props.

·
Panic time is here!
3,756 Posts
I think the diarama is a good idea. It gives more for the imagination to work with than just a static prop doing what appears to be nothing in particular.

I thought it would be cool to have a graveyard full of skellies doing different things. Like one helping another out of a grave, and whatever else a skelly might do. You know....mischievous type things.

I would have to collect skellies for the next few years to get that one done.

·
Registered
303 Posts
A lot could be done with a static action scene that couldn't be done with wearable costumes or moving props I imagine. But then again we all enjoy scaring the patrons with a startle scare which doesn't come from a static scene. I would think having a diorahma-type scene would actually detract from the inside of a haunt where everything else is dynamic, but would be a great way to advertise a haunt 'outside the door'.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I want to do a "scene" of skellies pulling out the casket from the back of a carriage hearse near the gravesite. It would not be a moving piece, static I guess it what it is called. Above my means for this year, but look out in '08.
This year, I want to do a "scene" of an old fashioned camera set up with a skeleton underneath the black cover as if he is taking the picture. I want to either have a display of an old style family dressed (skellies are the family) or have it be the display for our guests to get their pic taken (with a real camera of course) with a halloween background.
Would this be sort of a diarama? Here's the style of camera I am making for the scene.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.