Haunt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first post

This is for a Cauldron Creep.

I stole the basic idea from folks on the internet -- but added some of my own twists:

Step One: Get a big plastic tote and tape some cardboard cut outs around it for the shape:

Step Two: Duct tape around it to make the shape

Step 3: Apply dry wall tape followed by light weight dry wall joint compound applied with a small trowel:

Step 4: Sand and apply more coats of compound as needed. It will the surface will remain rough and irregular, which is ok since it will appear aged.

Step 5: Pain with black spray paint:

Step 5: Apply a lot of bronze spray paint with a sponge or crumpled plastic bag and some dabs of dark orange paint for rust.

Then attach some handles (Halloween door knockers from the dollar store):

I hope you enjoyed my first post! This cauldron is for a "Cauldron Creep" so there will likely be more posts to come !

Happy Haunting!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good job. That sucker shouldn't easily blow away in the wind.
Thanks. Although it's not as heavy as you would think. Because it's lightweight joint compound it is really almost as light as paper mache.

It took some trial and error to get the metallic look but I'm happy with how "real" it looks.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Love it! I have mine past the duct tape stage but then did masking tape like Ghoulish Cop in preparation for paper mache'. I didn't think it was going to happen this year because I'm running out of dry time. This provides another option that will work quicker. Thanks for sharing.

·
Headless & Haunting
Creating a massive fundraiser haunted house for our local Scout group.
4,783 Posts
Looks fantastic - great job!

·
Registered
183 Posts
Great idea! I love the texture that the joint compound gives. Very interesting.

·
IN MEMORIAM - A Wee Bit Wicked....
8,670 Posts
:jol:Hey Josh, that is such a great cauldron. You really did excellent work and your creative detail is so nice! I love your paint techinque and the add ons, the trim pieces that look like door knockers. Definitely one of a kind!:p I am still torn as to what to do for my cauldron creep, but you have definitely given me food for thought. Thanks!:D

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks everyone for the kind words. I'll try to post more stuff (and some vids) as I go along!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts