Haunt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to build a large witch stirring a large cauldron this year. I haven't had any luck locating a large cauldron (3' x 3'), so I was thinking of making one.

My first thought was to carve a cauldron out of foam, seal it, and then cover it in fiber glass. Sanding a foam block that size would be very messy and time consuming! I was thinking that since the cauldron can be described as a surface of revolution, putting the foam on a slowly rotating base would speed things up, and using a hot nichrome wire would allow me to convert the block of foam into a cylinder, but even going from a large cylinder to a cauldron would still take quite a bit of time.

Any other suggestions?

-Brian

·
Registered
5,682 Posts

·
Hillbilly Wrangler
3,472 Posts
LOL, sickie. So out of curiosity, whats wrong with the basic 55 gallon barrel? I got mine for 14 dollars. You could build around that to make it look wider, but still have the protection of the plastic. Just a thought.

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
She got the effect by selling her soul to the devil......

Click on the Scarefx link. His is THE best stirring witch on the internet.

Great How to. Highly recommended by me. And I'm an idiot.

·
Registered
215 Posts
LOL, sickie. So out of curiosity, whats wrong with the basic 55 gallon barrel? I got mine for 14 dollars. You could build around that to make it look wider, but still have the protection of the plastic. Just a thought.
where'd you get a 55 gallon drum for 14 bucks?

·
Registered
831 Posts
Speaking of Big cauldrons. I have a dilemma. I need a a larger one for this year. After building the Shanty last year. The ScareFX cauldron I put in there looks just a bit too small.
Tcarter. Look around for places that recycle beverage drums. Thats how I found mine. It used to have Mountain Dew syrup in it. I think it was 17 bucks

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
I checked the scarefx and it is a great how to for the witch....but cannot find anything on the bubble effect like in the pic of DeadSpider. Would love to know how you got it to bubble.......

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Speaking of Big cauldrons. I have a dilemma. I need a a larger one for this year. After building the Shanty last year. The ScareFX cauldron I put in there looks just a bit too small.
Tcarter. Look around for places that recycle beverage drums. Thats how I found mine. It used to have Mountain Dew syrup in it. I think it was 17 bucks
I agree Krough, you seem to need a wider, more oval one now. Perhaps one on a big hook or chains, that one looks a little too "skinny" now. Perhaps you could use it just outside your shanty and make a "fatter" one for in.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
where'd you get a 55 gallon drum for 14 bucks?
Look in the yellow pages for Restaurant food suppliers or call your local coca-cola or pepsi rep.

Mine was a soya Sauce drum. I got mine for 15.00 cdn from a wholesaler.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts