Haunt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Hillbilly Wrangler
3,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey anyone make thier own candles if so what is a better kind of Dye...Liquid or dye chips...thanks

·
Registered
5,682 Posts
Y i guess crayons would work but from what i have seen , candle dye is not that expensive so you may want to check those out if the crayon color doesnt work for you.
there are a ton of sites for those.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I make scented wax tarts, and I use color chips in soy wax. For pastel colors, they work really well. The only drag about the solid colorant is that if it doesn't dissolve all the way, you end up with little dark bits in the bottom of your poured item. In candles, that might not matter much, but in tarts its pretty noticeable.

The solid colorants are CHEAP (like $.50-$1 per color) though, which is why I use them as compared to the liquid dyes, which are $4-6 per ounce per color. I'm just too cheap to spend $50 on dyes when I wouldn't use them all up in 10 years!!!

I guess it boils down to how many candles are you gonna make, and how many colors do you want to invest in? Also, if you want a really saturated color, a liquid dye may be the way to go for ease of use as compared to the solid color...

HTH!

·
Hillbilly Wrangler
3,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OOOps, guess i looked at them like they were a prop since i was using them for a prop in my witch area. I didnt plan on lighting them. Sorry bout that.

·
Can't keep up with Roxy!
3,526 Posts
I've been making candles for a few years now. I have used both the chips and the liquid. They both have advantages. The chips won't spill on your clothes, but they have to be shaved down. I have primarily switched to buying the liquid.

A good source for supplies is Bitter Creek www.candlesupply.com
They have good quality supplies.

If you have any other questions about making candles just PM me.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I make gel candles with glow powders in lab glassware- a cool effect! I also made glow gel candles in champagne glasses- drizzled hot glue on the rim and painted the glue red like blood dripping cocktail candles!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts