Haunt Forum banner

Math type problem

1K views 18 replies 7 participants last post by  slimy 
#1 ·
Money is the root of all evil, (But I also hate to feel wrong when I believe I'm right) and its making my family discuss heatedly. I'm horrible with numbers so if anyone can help me with this I'd be grateful.

X paid $66.00 for an item and to ship off to W
Y paid X $66.00
W paid $96.00 to buy and have item shipped
Z charged Y $5.60 to use service to sell item to W
How does Y and X split W's payment?

#5 ·
W paid to buy 96.oo
Y paid X and Z 71.60
leaving a profit of 24.40
that X believes should be equally split whereas Y believes that since X has been paid the original 66. for item and shipping and Z has been paid 5.60 for the service by Y already the full profit of 24.40 would be Y's.

Does that make since or is it mathematically flawed?

#9 ·
here is what i would think.. Did X pay Z anything? If Y paid Z all of the 5.60 then X should only get 6.60 (of the 24.40) since he did not pay anything to Z.
IF X paid half of the 5.60 to Z and Y paid half to Z then the 24.40 should be split between Y and X equally...
Also did Y get 66.00 back from Z for the sale of the item? If not then and only then should Y get to keep the entire 24.40.
Did that help?

#16 ·
To save peace in the family split the profit. Family fighting is not worth 15 bucks. Next time set the rules before you go into the thing, or better yet don't' involve family in money matters. Spoken from experience.

#19 ·
Did X buy the item with resale in mind? Or did Y just offer the $66 dollars for the item for personal reasons?

In business you assume risk and you reap rewards. If you take all of the risk, like Y did, you should recieve all of the rewards. But, a word that was in your original post that is EXTREMELY important is 'family'. Never go into business with family. It ALWAYS causes problems.

Total $96
minus $74.40
equals $24.40

X =$12.20
Y = $12.20

Don't tear your family up over twelve bucks. It makes Thanksgiving dinner easier if noone feels like they were taken advantage of.

Save the family, divy up the profit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.