Haunt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read the haunt forum for a couple of years, but am posting for the first time. So, thanks everyone in advance for reading and helping out!

Looking through the props section has offered up outstanding mausoleum ideas, and I plan on creating one this year. Here's my dilemma: I don't know how to attach the pink foam to my frame. I have an existing pvc frame from a small greenhouse I actively use during the spring/summer, and I will need it in this capacity after the haunt is packed away. So, temporary but STURDY fixation?! It's not uncommon to have 40mph gusts and driving rain or sleet in October here.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
You would probably be better off . Just to make it separate and sturdy. Then use it for storage of your Halloween props. Buy the time you buy Plywood, it wouldn't be that much more to get some 2x4's.

·
Slowly Losing My Mind
2,820 Posts
How about attaching the foam to plywood. Then use "U" brackets on the inside to attache the panels to the PVC. Then it would be a matter of screwing them on in October, and screwing them off in novemeber.
Kind of what I was thinking. Glue plywood strips to foam board and screw some square, plastic, zip tie connectors to the plywood. Then all you'll have to do is use a ziptie to connect to the green house frame and then cut them off when your done. The only thing you'll have to do the following year is use new zipties.

I use the zip tie connectors thats available at Home Depot or Lowes. They come with an adhesive backing but I screw them down through the hole in the middle. I use it to attach chain to my wooden posts that surrounds my graveyard. When I'm done I cut the zipties, pull out the would post and it stores easily. You don't see the connectors because they are on the back side of the post that no one sees and they're black like the posts.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
I like the plywood idea, but rather than zip ties to hold it together, I'd be tempted to use drop pin door hinges. These use a separate pin that goes through the two halves of the dodor hinge that can be left fastened to the wall pieces, You won't have to worry about them getting brittle and breaking like you would with the zip ties and they help guarantee a solid fit between panels for years to come. I don't know that I''d use PVC for the basic structure, while PVC is treat for light (low weight) load bearing, the weight of the plywood & foam panels, not to mention the wind stress factor, would not be a light load, and having your structure come apart/break while you have guests is a recipe for disaster as well as lawsuits. I'd be tempted to look at something like the metal framework for commercial canopy instead. You might be surprised at how many you can find in your local papers and places like
"Craig's List" where people are just dumping them because the original canvas has rotted away, and they don't/won't use them enough to make ti worth their while to replace it, so they just throw away the framework.
It's worth a look.

·
Registered
314 Posts
My dad's racecar made a believer out of me, I'm a supporter of zipties. Everyone has their own method and some probably work better or cost more

·
Slowly Losing My Mind
2,820 Posts
Zipties are cheap as well as the ziptie connectors. Thats why I suggested them. They're sold next to the zipties. If you make enough connection points to the green house frame it should be strong enough without breaking the zip ties.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
These are all great suggestions; thank you all very much. I like the idea of plywood strips and hinges or brackets. I really wanted to keep the cost of a big project down, and figured that would be easy with my stack of foam and an existing frame. Plywood in Juneau is wicked expensive and not nearly as fun! I'm not overly concerned about the safety of the structure. It will be set back in the graveyard behind a fence not readily accessible to guests. Also, the greenhouse has been out in my yard without protection in very extreme weather for three years; it's the reason I was eager to grab it.
So, time to get started! I'll let you know how it goes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts