Haunt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Kiddies,
The last big winds we had in my area gave me an idea. We had one of those pop up tent/canopies for shade in our backyard and the winds literally tor the tarp off of it and left the frame. Thought about building a Mausoleum facade around the PVC frame. For the side and back walls I would just use grey fabric that matched the color of the facade. Since I will have it at an angle to my property the guests will only see the front and not much if any of the sides. Has anyone else tried this, or have any ideas, or see any logistical errors?

-R

·
Registered
723 Posts
A couple of years ago I had the idea to make a PVC frame for a crypt. I used foam boards for the sides. We had a fluke storm with straight-line winds (approx. 60mph).

The result was my crypt got lifted from its place and smashed. I was using rebar to anchor the whole thing down.

It's a great idea but it will be a massive sail. Think your design through.

Here's the net result only 3 hours before TOTing started...

·
Registered
375 Posts
Here is the one I built. Wood frame and then the rest all foam. I can take it all apart to store. I do have sand bags x 2 laying in the bottom spray painted black just to make sure it stays put.
The Beginning of my Crypt pictures by Wormyt - Photobucket ok so I have 5 pages of pics of this sucker but it turned out cool. Also you can see here that it stays up through Christmas and the ghost gets replaced with a snowman that moves his arms up and down on the same motor as my ghost. oh and you can see what the recent ice storm did. Barely missed dropping a huge limb in front of my crypt inches from the front. NEVER touched it. Man how lucky is that??

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Roadkill, all I can say is "bummer". Here in So. Cali. though we hardly ever get winds like what we had last week, and I don't fore-see it being that way in Oct.

Wormyt, I like how your Mausoleum turned out. I'm debating on whether or not to put a FCG in it. I will be putting my fog chiller either behind the Mausoleum or in it.

I have included a link to my conceptual idea so far. I will be making changes in the next few weeks.

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o75/frstvamp1r/New%20Location%20Layout/Cemetery_Layout.jpg

·
Registered
4,547 Posts
I did one similar to Wormy's as well. After having to tether it down because of a hurricane that passed close by, I decided in '06 to weigh it down more with some OSB as the walls under the foam that I used before. It was MUCH more sturdy and with the storms we got before Halloween, it didn't need to be tethered. I have it all disassembled and put in my attic now.

http://www.howloweenqueen.com/crypt.html

I'd like to make a new facade for it in the future.

·
Registered
4,547 Posts
Ghostess I love the way yall painted the bluckies. I have so many of them and the way you painted them makes um look so errie. WOW I might have to paint some of mine now to take some of the cutesy away from them LOL.
LOL, thanks! I can't have pretty clean white Bluckies running around my cemetery! Scaredy Cat AKA LA CHarlie actually prompted me to paint them that way when she painted one of hers. I fell in love with it.

BTW... I almost kept my crypt out this year and had plans to build a couple of giant nutcrackers to put on each side of it for Xmas...lol

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Jeff, my Haunt over the years have gone through various layouts. My very first one started out as a mock funeral. The food served in and around a casket. Had the funeral music and all going and I was the funeral director. Now I take people on a "tour" of a "Haunted Mortuary". With my casket I do a pepper's ghost effect where you see a ghost sit up from the casket and look at the people outside. A crematorium. Horse-drawn Hearse. Stained Glass windows which I make at work that can be rolled up for storage. Funeral Music. Ghost flying up from the cemetery (inspired from Disneyland's Haunted Mansion) and the sort.

·
Registered
4,949 Posts
Very cool I love the idea of converting a prop for dual purpose and leaving it ou longer

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have a shed in the back yard and have begun considering plans for making a mausoleum out of it too. Mine will be dual functional. In the off season it will be taken apart and rebuilt as a storage shed itself.

The outer walls of the mausoleum will (hopefully), be the inner walls of the shed. I'll build shelves to store my halloween decorations.

I will only have to make the front, side, and roof look like a mausoleum as the back and other side are out of view.

Once done, my back yard will be my graveyard. Now what to do with the front yard? Our garage is long but narrow. Our back gate opens up on the neighbor's driveway. Hope they buy lots of candy because we'll be handing out lots too.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Last year we put up a 25' facade on the outside of our barn for a clown's mouth. We used paneling that were seconds that were very reasonably priced. Couldn't you use something like that for your project? Easy to paint and easy to take down and reuse.

·
Registered
73 Posts
With Halloween fast approaching, making the crypt facade for the shed will be next year's project. It's gonna take a lot of thinking if I want to have it as something useful in the off season as well, otherwise a few 2x2's and paneling for two sides only would work. Oh and plus the roof and facia.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts