Haunt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I am in the process of making the concept art for my mausoleum this year. I want it to be very detailed and very powering in the cemetery. In other words, very realistic. I've been looking at all the ones here on the forums and am very impressed, so I thought we could have everyone show off theirs and post about them as well as post links to real mausoleums that can be used for reference.

Post post post! :D

·
Premium Member
5,858 Posts
Hey, I'm about to start mine this weekend as well! Mine is just going to be a facade, but I plan on making it fairly realistic, basing it on a real mausoleum I saw photos of.

My graveyard is too small for a full-up mausoleum, but by putting it in a rear corner of the cemetery, I can get away with building just the front of it. I plan on detailing the entire process on my web site.

Best of luck with yours! Keep us all updated on its progress.

·
Are you always like this?
3,290 Posts
Please post lots of pics.

For the heck of it, I googled mausoleums and up popped this incredible pic - Cumbria is in the North of England. (not to be confused with the Askam in Nottinghamshire)... I love English cemetaries. food for thought. ;)

·
Premium Member
5,858 Posts
Here is the one I'm basing mine on:

I may make the alcove deeper and add a window on either side of the door. Not too sure yet. Maybe torches instead of windows?

Food for thought before I get to the foam-cutting stage.

·
Panic time is here!
3,834 Posts
Thanks Lilly. I was looking all over for that site the other day. I forgot to bookmark it and could only remember that it was in Ohio.

·
Premium Member
5,858 Posts
Zombie, I'd definitely go with torches. Sometimes you can find some killer torches on eBay.
Ohhh...Talking skull torches! I gotta make one now.
Been thinking about it now for a while. I think I'm going to do windows. I'll stretch a black sheet over the back side of the window and mount a panel with various LEDs behind it. Then, I'll have a prop-1 control the various LEDs so that they fade in and out randomly for a creepy light show.

Or else stained glass windows.

I was thinking about the lights more, and they'd be cool, but being my medium for the crypt will be mostly foam (aside from the wooden frame) it would be difficult to mount the lights to the foam in a fashion that would stand up to the test of time.

·
Registered
5,682 Posts
Sounds Good Zombie,
Have you thought about doing stained glass in a balck, grey, white type instead of color?
It may give a more shadowy eerie look.
Could you put longer leads on your LED's and then dangle from inside top instead of setting them in one palce?

·
Premium Member
5,858 Posts
Sounds Good Zombie,
Have you thought about doing stained glass in a balck, grey, white type instead of color?
It may give a more shadowy eerie look.
Could you put longer leads on your LED's and then dangle from inside top instead of setting them in one palce?
Ooh, that's a great idea about the LEDs! Maybe I could make 4 or 5 spotlights for each window, each one a different color. Then, I could have them pointing at an extreme angle from various points around the edge of the window.

Maybe I could combine the stained glass idea with the LED idea. I could use black, grey, and white sheets for the "glass" effect.

I've started cutting the wood for the frame pieces. I'm making the frame modular using framing brackets for each wall section and using "T" nuts and bolts to assemble the frame pieces to one another.

·
Registered
5,682 Posts
cool can't wait to see how everything and the glass turns out.

·
Premium Member
5,858 Posts
Sounds nice!

I think I'm going to build the mausoleum with the ability to take it apart, so moving it around will be easier. Base would be separate, pillars separate, body separate, and roof separate.
Hey! Sounds like you're inside my head or something. I'm planning a similar sounding design for my pieces as well. We'll have to compare notes when we're done. :D

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
I have been thinking about a mausoleum....but I'm a bit slow still and have so many other props to get done! But here's my question for you guys, does anybody else's spouse "freak" over the lawn after the props are removed? Mine about crapped last year after I made a few fresh dug graves and the spots were bare until the next summer! I thought...just leave it up all year....no problemo, but apparently "HE" didn't see it that way. I was just thinking how much grief I would take over the big dead patch left from a mausoleum! Of course, I think it's worth it.....but you know what they say about keeping the hubby happy too.......

1 - 20 of 95 Posts