Haunt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Meet Grimm, my take on the reaper. He emerges from the void as the veil to the underworld is opened, seeking the lost and the damned.

Costs:
Scrap piece of plywood: $0 - freeecycle
2ft chicken wire: $1
Shelf bracket: $.25 - garage sale
Cardboard: $0
2ft 1/2" PVC: $0 - freecycle
Roll of bailing wire: $2 - garage sale
1/2 roll of burlap: $3
Old sheet: $0
Old pillowcase: $0
Plastic Skull: $4
2 popsicle stix: $.01
Pantyhose: $1
Latex: $3
Cotton Balls: $.50
Pens: $0 - pilfered from banks, grocery stores, etc
2yds cheesecloth: $1.50
Blk RIT dye: $2.50
3 cans blk spray paint: $3
Various airbrush paints: $2
Wood screws: $1
Lantern: $1.99

TOTAL: $26.75

I started by taking a scrap piece of plywood and attaching the shelf bracket, which would later hold the skull. I also attached some PVC for the arms and reinforced them w/ wood screws and bailing wire. After that, I arranged the chicken wire to form the cloak, chest and sleeves. Then I twisted bailing wire into a braid and attached it to the edge of the plywood w/ wood screws and formed the tendrils. Next I moved onto the skull. I took a plastic skull and cut it in half at the jaw line, separating the bottom part of his jaw. I then lengthened it by gluing a popsicle stick to each side. Once dried I pulled pantyhose over the whole thing, made some slices in the material, then corpsed it w/ latex. To get the exposed ribs I took a cardboard box and cut out my ribcage stencil. I had to cut it out twice to get the right thickness, then I glued that down onto the chest cavity. I then gave it a coat of mud and let dry. Once that was dry I corpsed it using the same method as the skull. Before I put the skull into place, I went ahead and painted it w/ my airbrush using leather and drab green. I also painted the eyes and nose area with flat black. Now it was time to attach the skull and move onto mudding. I secured the skull using wood screws. First I wrapped the tendrils in burlap and hand painted the mud on. Then I took triangular shapes of burlap and placed them on the get the right shape I wanted. Once that dried I took an old sheet, tattered the edges, soaked it in mud, squeezed out the excess and draped it around for the cloak and arranged the ends into more tendrils. For the sleeve I used an old pillow case. After that dried I spray painted the whole thing with gloss black. Then I used the airbrush again and painted the chest area. I then dyed some cheesecloth black, and added it behind the skull inside the cloak and tattered the edges of that. The hands were formed using pvc, wire, pens, cotton balls and latex. I sanded the ends of the pvc down and slid them into place. Then I stuck a lantern in his hand and slapped a bid ol' DONE stamp on him. Hope ya like him!

·
Registered
5,565 Posts
very cool wall hanging.
Great

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
I love the swirls of black, and the way he is coming through teh wall! The woman standing next to him with the tape measure is prety awesome too! how do I build one of her??? :D

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
lol Sickie - Take a slab of premium beef, add lots of spice, dowse with beer, toss to coat - serve rare!!
Thanks for the compliments everyone!!! I had a lot of fun building him, and he's now hanging out in the living room with us.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh dang!! I want one!! He looks like he's comeing out the freakin wall.. too sweet.. Great job!! (adds something to her list AGAIN lol) (jk)

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.