Haunt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I was looking on the Terror Syndicate web page at there grave stalkers line of solid urethane foam products, and started thinking to myself I need to make tons of skulls and buying them would cost to much and paper mache isn't a option. So now my question, Does anyone know how They make there skulls what foam product they use etc? Im pretty sure they sculpt there skulls in clay and make a mold which I pretty much know how to do. I just need to know what product they use. Any Help would be greatly appreciated Thanks all. :jol:

·
Registered
458 Posts
yes - that is a good question - i too would like to know exactly what kind of foam steve uses - anybody got an idea? i know there is obviously many choices of foam out there - just would like to know which one steve preffers - because whichever it is - id use it...good enough for steve = good enough for me! 1031fan

·
Registered
156 Posts
1031 have you ever bought any of Steve's skull's ? I have and its the same stuff you did yours with last season or very close. 3lb or 4lb foam. It really does not make that huge a difference with 2 part foam for what you did and what others are doing or trying for the first time. He has some good 2 part molds he has made and great customer service. Either way buying them or making them most people wont notice a mistake here or there its kinda dark outside anyway.

·
Registered
458 Posts
i figured it was something similar....but i know that monster makers has something called self skinning...and i was just wondering if he used that - would maybe explain why his look a bit more refined on the surface - any chance you could post a close up pic of one of yours?? i have seen his on the sight...but they arent too big pictures..also on the sight of course they are going to look perfect...just thought a pic might help - anyway..thanks - 1031fan

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
can you give me some examples, brand names, types of 2 part foam? can you buy large amounts of it cheap somewhere? Or just in general where can I get it? Thanks :jol:

·
Registered
743 Posts
try a local boating repair shop, they usually carry it in a few different densities. I buy a brand named fiber-tek.

·
Registered
156 Posts
BobC This is where I bought my last batch it was the best price I could find at the time. http://www.shopmaninc.com/foam.html

I also bought a small amount to get started at a local fiberglass supplier that was the 2.5 lb Foam and it worked well. Other than that one place locally no one else sells it for consumer use. Some businesses that are doing the foam insulation in homes have the 50Gal containers with the special delivery systems if that helps I don't know. I have looked at it myself and it appears to be 3 or 4lb foam.

1031Fan I will dig one out and take some pics for you.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow thanks for the response I didn't expect that many people to respond. There are so many foam products to choose from. I was reading a little and it seems like I should go with at least a 3lb foam cause it sounds like the 2lb foams don't pick up great detail what do you think? I want to get the same results that Steve gets with his props over at Terror syndicate cause I like his products. But anyways hopefully I can get my wed clay out this weekend and start sculpting a skull to cast. I am very excited to try these two part foams cant wait. Thanks again :jol:

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was just thinking. What type of mold release do you use for 2 part foam products? And how do I go about measuring the exact amount of two part foam to pour in my mold?
Later all. :jol:

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I went with a small amount 2 quart bottles that Ruafraid recommended I went with the 4lb foam. the expansion rate is 1 cubic foot it says 12x12x12.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Just reading the above posts, I thought i was using a higher density foam, but mine is only 2lb. It picks up every detail. It just may not be as strong as the others and damage easier? I like the 2 lb, I can easily cut a skull and carve it to my liking. I don't use or need a release agent in my mold. so far, although I have heard over time Dragon Skin will begin to slightly stick without it. So afar its working for me.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts