Haunt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this...please forgive me if I am wrong. I need some help with a project and I know that someone among you will have an answer. I am going to try monster mud very soon and I was just wondering if I could use JUST the joint compound and then paint it with the latex paint or does it have to be mixed together. What's the difference in the way it will work? I don't have anothing to really mix it with and I know to stir it by hand will take forever! Any opinions or answers will be MOST appreciated. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
5,858 Posts
I tried this last year when I was coating my (failed attempt) at an obelisk. What will happen this way, is when ever it rains outside -- even if the prop is under cover -- the joint compound will absorb moisture and can crack and bubble the paint. It makes a big mess, trust me.

And this belongs more in the Props and Propbuilding forum as the How-To Links forum is strictly for posting your own how-tos or links to other's how-tos.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Zombie. Sorry I posted this in the wrong spot. Another question, if you don't mind...will it crack even with a few coats of polyurethane on it? Sorry, but I've never tried this before and it's alot of work for it to turn out wrong.

·
Registered
453 Posts
When you mix, the paint and joint compound molecules bond, forming a new material. Once it cures, these molecules are locked together permantly.
If you don't mix, the joint compound cures and when paint is applied, the paint has nothing to bond with. This causes weaker adhesion.
Regarding Polyurethane, if you apply it to latex paint, it might cause the paint to fail over time. There's different Poly's out there, some safer for latex paint than others.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice and help. It looks like I'll be out there next weekend trying to stir this stuff. I wonder if I can find some neighborhood kids bored enough to have them stir this for me! :p

·
Registered
88 Posts
trishaanne said:
Thanks for the advice and help. It looks like I'll be out there next weekend trying to stir this stuff. I wonder if I can find some neighborhood kids bored enough to have them stir this for me! :p
Just tell them its 'magical wishing mud' and if they stir it well enough it can make wishes come true.

When they're done stirring tell them- 'See.. *my* wish came true! Its now all mixed up!' ;)

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
Try starting with an empty five gallon pail, empty the paint in first, and gradually add in the joint compound. It should be much easier than the other way round.

·
Registered
54 Posts
A mixing attachment is available for drills found in the tool and/or paint department of home improvement stores. Either way, you should start with much less than a five gallon+ mixture, because it's much easier to work with and a single prop will require a gallon or two at most. Be sure to soak the material, wipe excess, apply and let dry completely (may take several days) before coating. For outdoor use: I have brushed on poly then painted with spray paint to eliminate glossy poly finish. My MM outdoor props have survived many wet and windy fall seasons in New England. Best of luck on your project!

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the advice. Vlad, your reply disappointed me....I was expecting something SOOOOO much more sarcastic :D I was hoping to try this project next weekend but now all my plans have changed....AGAIN and I have to totally reorganize my house because a friend that is having some serious problems is moving in with us. Hmmmmmm, wondering if I can monster mud her soon to be ex....it will save me building the frame and would look so realistic! OK, OK.....not really;) I'm sure I'll be asking tons more questions so please bear with me as I try this for the first time.

·
Registered
8,110 Posts
Okay, the only monster mud pieces I've seen usually involve a robe for some type of figure.

Now, I like to think outside the box quite a bit, but I need to know...is what people appreciate most about monster mud center around seeing folds in clothes?

I did see the mm well and serpent entrance, but smooth mm may not hold the same fascination as wrinkles? Yes??? No???

Anybody have thoughts on this?

·
Registered
898 Posts
All the MM props I have made I have added wrinkles to the clothing. I think it adds a "Realistic" look to MM characters. I have never used it on Tomb stones etc but alot of people say it adds good detail. Overall I think MM characters need wrinkles look down at your shirt right now sitting at your computer its natural looking to have wrinkles noones clothes are ever straight just my 2 cents. Later all :jol: [/COLOR]

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Frighteners Entertainment said:
It can be used for anything you want to stiffen up.
Oh really Frighteners, I think there are other things to use for "anything" lol

·
Registered
898 Posts
MM does not Just apply to Burlap it will work with almost any material. even regular clothes. I have seen people dress a prop in clothes and MM just the outside of the prop and it worked pretty good. For weather just make sure you use a water based sealer. Later All. :jol:

1 - 20 of 42 Posts