Haunt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been telling myself that sometime in between building everything else I was going to try monster mud this year. Then I decided that the price was a little more than I wanted to spend. Well, I guess monster mud was a project that was meant to be this year because I just came from picking up two large buckets of joint compound, both nore than 3/4 full, from someone on the local freecycle group. Now I have the paint, the chicken wire and the joint compound. All I need is the talent, the time and a place to store the thing when it's done. Maybe a grim reaper...hmmmmmm, so many ideas!

·
Premium Member
5,858 Posts
Oh, you gotta do a grim reaper. I think it's required. I know when I finally get around to mudding, that's exactly what I'm going to build.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm really unsure of myself when it comes to doing the form for a reaper, but hey, it's Halloween and if it doesn't turn out quite like I want it to, it's OK. The creepier the better, right?

·
Registered
25 Posts
This thread brings up something I’ve always wondered about. How hard is it to do monster mud projects?

Joking about making a grim reaper statue being almost mandatory reminded me of my grim reaper. I considered making him out of MM, but honestly, the idea kinda scared me, as I’ve heard the projects are a huge mess and the end result takes forever to dry and weighs a ton. Is it really that hard to do?

I’ve always been a little apprehensive about making something out of MM because of a few of the horror stories, plus, I heard it’s really stiff and difficult to mix. But on the other hand, I know a lot of people use MM and love it. So, how hard is it, really?

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll let you know after I try it. I've been trying to figure out how I'm going to mix it but I think I'm going to start on something small first, like a tombstone and see what happens. If I like it I'll move on to bigger projects, if not, I'll freecycle what's left and let someone else try it.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Hey if it gets to the point where you put it back on freecylce let me know. I'd be glad to take it off your hands. I'll even come and pick it up. I can't wait to make a monster mud creation.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Monster Mud

Trish, we can arrange a day if you want Ill come down and help you with a Grim Reaper monster mud prop. I am quite skilled in the ways of the Mud..lol
You are going to need.
a roll of 1" mesh 3' or longer Chicken Wire
a roll or two of Burlap from Home Depot or Lowes
about 3 2x4's
a scrap piece of plywood about 20"X20" square
a Gallon of exterior Latex paint (any color but try to stay with a grey or brown) to mix with the joint compound
(To mix the Mud I use a Drill Bit that looks like a Giant cake mixer found at Home Depot or Lowes) then I pre heat my oven to 350 and taste the mud here and there for texture. Just kidding..lol ok back to the list
Small Box of Screws you can get away with using just 2 1/2"
Flat Black Spray Paint Im thinking 5 or 6 cans just get the cheap stuff.
Flat white or Grey spray paint 1 can for shadowing and stuff.
Staples and staple gun
needle nose pliars and regular pliars (A Must)
Mask, Skull or what ever you want to use for the head.
And a scickle and blade if you could find a real one and get the blade dull that would be cool. So let me know if you want me to help you out one day. I can come down over the summer sometime on the weekend and get that thing done. Then you will know how to make monster mud props yourself. Later all. :jol:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Here's my reaper. I named him Azreal - the Angel of Death. He's made of electrical PVC with a blucky rib cage and a foam skull. The MM was used for his robe which was muslin instead of burlap. He now resides permanently in my back yard and can be picked up by me alone due to the lightweight frame construction and single layer of MM fabric. Every year I give him a new coat of black paint (after washing off any bird poop) and dry brush gray - he's then as good as new.

http://www.castlenottingham.com/TOT25.jpg
http://www.castlenottingham.com/SplitcorpseReaper.jpg
http://www.castlenottingham.com/SplitcorpseReaperfront.jpg

·
Registered
458 Posts
I love monster mud! It's not hard to work with but it IS messy. I've only made two projects from the MM and they are both pretty big. My reaper is over 6' http://www.thewidowsden.com/the_reaper.JPG
and the Apparition is over 7' http://www.thewidowsden.com/images/apparition.jpg
Definitely make your frame sturdy enough to hold the weight of the mud and cloth. My reaper sagged after the first year and I had to re-do the frame with bulkier materials.

CastleNottingham, I LOVE the wings on your reaper!

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
BEAUTIFUL Reaper. That's what I'm looking to do, or something like it anyway. And BobC, don't be surprised if you get an SOS call one day!

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
That is a great Reaper! I love the wings. I think I may be trying something like this on the one I make this year

yes I just added another thing to my list of props to make this year..lol

·
Registered
458 Posts
heresjohnny said:
BlackWidow, I LOVE that apparition. Add that to my list of projects to do this year..ugh that list is full, drat! Well, if I manage to squeeze it in I will post something. How much does that thing weigh?
Thanks HJ, she was my first prop and is still one of my favorites. It's hard to say how much she weighs, probably not too much because I can "walk" it around the shop by myself. It takes two to pick it up though because it's so tall. Maybe 50-60 pounds?

·
Registered
6,024 Posts
CastleNottingham said:
Here's my reaper. I named him Azreal - the Angel of Death. He's made of electrical PVC with a blucky rib cage and a foam skull. The MM was used for his robe which was muslin instead of burlap. He now resides permanently in my back yard and can be picked up by me alone due to the lightweight frame construction and single layer of MM fabric. Every year I give him a new coat of black paint (after washing off any bird poop) and dry brush gray - he's then as good as new.

http://www.castlenottingham.com/TOT25.jpg
http://www.castlenottingham.com/SplitcorpseReaper.jpg
http://www.castlenottingham.com/SplitcorpseReaperfront.jpg
OH My GOD! Those wings make that thing look BADASS! I dropped my jaw when I saw that....Now I must steal...er ahem...borrow your design..I GOTTA have that in my yard!

·
Registered
314 Posts
madmax said:
Like most props, MM props can be easy to make....if you think outside the box.

Just because one or 10 people makes it one way. Doesn't mean you have to. Personally, I can make a 8 foot MM prop in about 2 hours and it'll dry in a few hours of sunlight. Remember, the frame will never be seen, once the prop is finished. So I look around and see what I have or can find that will cut down on some of the work.
Madmax,
do you remember my sob stories on how I hate chicken wire on another forum? Well, I finished the MM project a longtime ago. But, since MM isn't my thang and this is my second project with it, I've been reluctant to post any pics of it. It looks GREAT under a green pinspot and will look FAB in the arboretum of the haunt, but in person, it's okay. It did scare the bejesus out of a guy who walked up to my house, though. It was funny!
Anyway, here he is. The Death Angel I call The Impressario. The arm that's outstretched has a skeleton hand, but you can't see it due to the moss and candle he's holding:

I had MM left over and is probably no good by now. But, that's okay. Like I said, MM isn't my thang.

·
Premium Member
5,858 Posts
I agree, it looks great to me Empress. It also looks really tall, which probably makes it look all the more intimidating in person.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts