Haunt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 165 Posts

·
Registered
8,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a working toy chainsaw for 1.50 yesterday along with a wooden porchlight display for $1.00 .

I was at Save-A-Lot today and they are selling brand new 5 speed motorized hand mixers for 3.00 ea. So, what could I do? I bought one. LOL

Now, what the heck can I do with a motor from a handmixer in a prop? Ideas?

·
Hillbilly Wrangler
3,472 Posts
LOL, i just got a great purchase from our local goodwill. I got 30 books for 15 bucks. They are gunna make great spell books.

·
Are you always like this?
3,290 Posts
There's a Goodwill by me... I should pop in there more often.

·
Registered
8,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I picked up a clock 3.50 (to be turned into a 13 hour clock) and a small animal carrier 3.00 today.

·
Can't keep up with Roxy!
3,526 Posts
Hey, animal carrier... gives me ideas. I have two large cages, two medium sized dog crates (plastic), 1 small plastic dog crate and a small hermit crab cage.

Great, more for the list!

·
Registered
277 Posts
Hehe...thanks!

Got a couple of nice (small) items, lanterns (putting LEDs in them) and a couple of nice candle holders…total cost $4. I put a piece of white paper behind the large candle holder so you can see it better but, it didn't work very well. It's a cut-out of a spooky house with trees and pumpkins, I think it will look nice with a white candle inside .

·
Registered
8,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
EITD- those look pretty cool. :)

Lady- I'm thinking about making the carrier like the classic crate. I'm thinkung about having it in a corner with a sign over it saying something like Do Not Feed . Then when someone gets close enough to look inside the dark carrier, a strobe comes on in the carrier, they see a ferocious animal with sharp teeth, audio has snarling, and a motor shakes the carrier violently.

I thought about having the sign say, "Please don't feed the cuddly animal"...then when the action starts, a piece of wood drops from the bottom of the sign to reveal " to this ferocious monster!!!" LOL But I don't know how to do that. :)

·
Panic time is here!
3,834 Posts
I have found that thrift store prices have gone through the roof, and they are auctioning off the really good stuff. I don't blame them for that.

I found that Goodwill, in particular, has stuff priced above what garage sales would even take in. Maybe it is just the areas I have lived in.
I couldn't afford some of he stuff at the Salvation Army in New Orleans. They had antique store prices on some items. Now and then I get a bargain but not that often. Maybe I just have bad luck or expensive thrifty taste. LOL!

·
Can't keep up with Roxy!
3,526 Posts
Haunted Bayou... I agree with you. The thrift stores here are also what I would call expensive and half the stuff is junk. Most often I come out disappointed with both price and selection.

Guess most people are trying to make a buck off of their junk now that ebay exists. And don't even get me started on the prices on ebay!

·
Registered
4,949 Posts
You guys got it right over the last few years i have watched my favorite close out discount and thrift stores go threw the roof

·
Registered
8,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I've been pretty lucky here in IL. prices are still pretty low as compaired to new, and sometimes cheaper than what I may be able to find at garage sales.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I picked-up a couple more items this week, the stacked (lighted by the way) pumpkins, white ghost candle, and the wicker candy basket were all a buck each....

·
Registered
8,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Nice. :)

I hit the 2nd hand store at least three times a week. This last time I got a Halloween ceramic candle holder, a flashing light pumpkin, an airline fish pump and a plastic coleman lantern.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I went in the local Goodwill yesterday and for $75 dollars they had an old Baldwin organ that with an addition of some pvc pipes painted up to look like organ pipes would be awesome for a phantom organist! Too bad I don't have room for it! Dang!

·
Registered
288 Posts
Eyes in the Dark, what great finds... guess I need to get to my local thrift stores again..Last few times I've been they have had nothing of interests..

·
Registered
506 Posts
EITD- those look pretty cool. :)

I thought about having the sign say, "Please don't feed the cuddly animal"...then when the action starts, a piece of wood drops from the bottom of the sign to reveal " to this ferocious monster!!!" LOL But I don't know how to do that. :)
Lol... nice idea

1 - 20 of 165 Posts