Haunt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen posts for mounting LEDs in plastic bottle caps. Is there any other (convenient) way to mount them? Thanks

·
Registered
8,110 Posts
Well, you could mount them just about anywhere depending on ewhat yu want. Heck, hot glue hold LEDs fine to just about anything.

·
Ghost Maker
3,014 Posts
LED's can be mounted on anything that does not conduct electricity and stays dry. I have seen sites that use masking tape to hold together bundles, cardboard with holes, and hot glue. I have mounted ultra brights to light props before and used a dab of hot glue to hold them in place.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great thoughts. I was just thinking about supergluing them to plexiglass. It's easy to put holes in, pretty durable, and can be screwed into position. Any comments on doing it this way?

·
Registered
511 Posts
Great thoughts. I was just thinking about supergluing them to plexiglass. It's easy to put holes in, pretty durable, and can be screwed into position. Any comments on doing it this way?
I've done this in the past. It works just fine.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I'll second (or thrid?) the vote for hot-glue. It's your friend.

Superglue is very permanent, though sometimes infuriating for not sticking to what you want, and is brittle once hardened.

Hot glue on the otherhand still hardens quickly, is easy enough to remove if you need to, and holds very well to most surfaces, even with some flex. It's also a good insulator for the electronics, and can be used to keep moisture out, depending on how you use it.

Of course both can be somewhat problematic if you don't have any strain-relief for the wires... the weight or tension of the wires can stress the glue-joint, so a trick that works well is to glue another part of the wires down somewhere, bend it to shape so that it nearly holds the LED in place by itself, and glue it in without any stress on it. Hot-glue lets you glue with large globs over wires, which is a plus.

Your mileage may vary, of course. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts