Haunt Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On the morning of Saturday, October 1, 2005, I will be spending some time upgrading to the newest version of the forum's software, so the forums will be unavailable.

To avoid any errors in the process, I will be renaming the directory the forums are in to prevent any users from trying to access it during the process, which could cause errors. Don't be alarmed if you come here and get a 404 "Page not Found" message. The forums will be back online later in the day.

·
Premium Member
5,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, the upgrade is done, but it didn't go too well. I think there are some problems I need to hash out here and there. SO, if any of you using the forums encounter anything you see that isn't working correctly, please let me know.

I ran a backup of the forums' database this morning and tried to revert to it this afternoon after I made a mistake in the upgrade process. The database backup is not in the correct format for some reason, so if there winds up being a problem with the database, we essentially have to start over from scratch. I sincerely hope this is NOT the case and that a suitable resolution presents itself.

:(

·
Premium Member
5,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The database itself seems fine. I am seeing a few problems here and there that I think we can live with. I have one or two tricks I'm gonna try to see if it'll fix the problem today. :)

·
Registered
60 Posts
ScareFX said:
...And we REALLY appreciate all his hard work and effort.
Yes we do. I am a network admin where I work and we deal with this type of stuff all the time. Every new version, upgrade, or hot fix seems to have its own new set of issues. So to mirror ScareFX, we do appreaciate the site and your continued upkeep of it.

·
Premium Member
5,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys. I now think the upgrade is working just fine. The problem I ran into was I got into a habit that (now) turns out to be a bad one. After I ran the upgrade script, when it gets to the end of the four of five steps, it gives you a "Proceed" button that has ALWAYS brought you to the admin control page.

Well, I skipped the "Proceed" button at the end of the beta and release candidate upgraders and only clicked it at the end of the final upgrader... except it started running some MORE database queries, which made me question the previous upgrade scripts. SO, I went back and ran them again (just to be sure), and the scripts started tossing up vB database errors.

During all that, I kept taking breaks to set up some of the inside decor. If I sat here all day and kept at it, I would have tossed my computer out the window. lol

In the end, the errors seemed to have not caused any problems. I think we're ok now! :D

I hate this aspec of being a webmaster.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts