Haunt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this on another forum and was asked to post it here.

This is the pattern I'm going by;

This is the fabric/lace I bought for it.

Here's where I am so far. Still waiting for my lace to be delivered. Ignore the bra sticking out, the lace should cover that.

The costume so far looks a lot different than the pattern. This is because I used a heavier fabric than recommended and I went several sizes larger than I currently am. I did this because I'm pregnant and will more than likely have a large belly by Halloween. The heavier fabric falls straight from the top so it will hide my baby bump. The sides aren't sewn yet so it'll be a little more fitted up top when it's done. I also added more length to the original pattern but am not sure how long I'm going to keep it.

What do you think?

·
Are you always like this?
3,064 Posts
Hi gennifyr - welcome to HF!!!

It's great making your own costumes!!!!! <Ms. Wicked does happy dance>

I have that pattern and have come close to making it a few times. You'll have to let me know how the project goes together. There are a couple of other ladies here who I know like that dress a lot too.

Your fabrics are great and look good together; I can't wait to see the dress when you've finished it! Don't forget to post pics!

Oh, and congrats on the baby. ;)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The pattern has been super easy so far and I consider myself a novice. I'm actually going to make a smaller more fitted version out of some blue crushed velvet I have lying around, just for the hell of it.

I do have one concern with it though. I'm making the biggest size, a 22. I am not a big person, I think a 14/16 would fit me, normaly. My arms are small yet the holes for the bell sleeve at the size 22 barely fit around them and I haven't even sewn them yet. The smaller the size the smaller the arm hole. (it's the part that fits around your elbow). I'm pretty sure it's going to need adjusting. I can't imagine how small a person's arm would have to be to fit the smallest size!

Other than that it's been great. I haven't managed to screw anything up yet and I'm working with an old finicky metal Kenmore. I have to adjust the tension on it every 10 minutes or so. I hate it...lol.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Gennifyr, nice job so far. Don't worry about the pattern sizes; they are never accurate. You always have to go up several sizes to get a pattern to fit. Looking forward to seeing pics when it's done.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Here's my finished dress. I had to do tons of alterations to it because I sized it way to big. I'm happy with it in reality but I don't like the way it photographs, something is off.

·
Registered
5,565 Posts
Nice dress gen..Good Sewing .
I think it's just the background color that makes pic look different.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
That's exactly what I thought too Lilly. The dress is beautiful, it's the bright background that's doing it. You are fantastic at sewing! That looks awsome!
Congrats on the baby! Perfect dress for the occasion!

·
Are you always like this?
3,064 Posts
That turned out really nice! I like how the floor length looks! Beautiful fabric!

Make sure you show us everything else that you make!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks everyone. I'm really pleased with it. It's the first item of clothing I haven't completely screwed up lol.

I'm hoping it'll drape better as my stomach fills it out.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Terrific!
I also made my own costume this year. I'll post it along with my coffin this weekend.

·
Bataholic
2,603 Posts
GREAT looking dress gennifyr!!! You seem to have a knack for sewing like Ms Wicked does.... :D Congrats on your pregnancy also!!! Another future haunter!!! hehehehe :>

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.