Haunt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so, here's my box in the works, the crate is based on the spookylake.com design... I've been thinking through the guts to the box and I've come up with a non-prop controller solution I think will work out well..

basically, it's motion sensor triggered ($8) which turns on a wiper motor w/ a lcd monitor transformer (~ $35) to work the lid. the fog machine power supply is always on so it's always hot and ready, and the cd player ($18) is on "repeat", and is always on. the switched "on" signal from the motion sensor triggers the sound fx box ($11 - they came in today) which turns on and takes the R track of a audio CD (breating type noises like in the commercial prop) and sends the pulses to a red light bulb(~$5), and to a 110v relay (~$5?) which is installed in place of the 400w gemmy fogger controller ($20, already have it), this making the creature breathe fire/smoke. the L audio track will also include roaring/angry type noises along with the pc speakers ($7) which are always on, but the power supply is hooked up to the switched voltage.

does it seem too much like a Rube Goldberg device vrs a controller and sound board?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Very clever design using the special fx lightning controller...everything looks sound (pardon the pun) I would just make sure the wiper motor setup does not draw too much power thru the motion sensor setup. You may have to add another 110 volt relay???

Taken from scary terrys wiper page:
Current. The minimum required current for the motor is 1.6 amps at 70 rpm, 0.9 amps at 41 rpm (and 4 amps if you elect to run it at 106 rpm). These current ratings are for the motor spinning with no load. As you add mechanical load, these numbers can increase dramatically, doubling or even tripling under a heavy load. (When testing for torque, I found the motor to draw close to 14 amps in a stalled condition.) This factor must be taken into account when selecting a power supply.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
about 7 hours, many boards and many many screws later... it's 37" wide and 24" tall, 25" deep - it was supposed to be 24"x24"x36" but I forgot to calculate for the trim... anyway, I'm pretty sure it weighs more than I do, but for the cost of a box of screws and two 2x2s I'll live with it. Now I need to get some hinges (the ones I picked up are too small) and the u-bolts and chain... I have a wiper motor and 12v/10a power supply en route.

the motion sensor is rated for use with two 120w bulbs and the power supply I'm using to run the wiper motor is a 180w supply so it should be allright.

I'm undecided about how to light the interior of the box, the easy way would be with a red 40w bulb but I'm thinking I might try some flickering LEDs...

·
Registered
511 Posts
about 7 hours, many boards and many many screws later... it's 37" wide and 24" tall, 25" deep - it was supposed to be 24"x24"x36" but I forgot to calculate for the trim... anyway, I'm pretty sure it weighs more than I do, but for the cost of a box of screws and two 2x2s I'll live with it. Now I need to get some hinges (the ones I picked up are too small) and the u-bolts and chain... I have a wiper motor and 12v/10a power supply en route.

the motion sensor is rated for use with two 120w bulbs and the power supply I'm using to run the wiper motor is a 180w supply so it should be allright.

I'm undecided about how to light the interior of the box, the easy way would be with a red 40w bulb but I'm thinking I might try some flickering LEDs...

Looks great so far!

·
Registered
521 Posts
Guys,

I have that submersible light in use in a fountain in my back yard. Although it works great and is very bright, the housing is plastic. If used out of water, it'll burn up in minutes. If you wish to use a high end submersible light out of the water, an EggLite is the way to go, and the best there is. The link is below. It also features a metal housing and a built in magnetic base.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produ...&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Np=1&pc=1&N=0&Nty=1

·
Registered
5,682 Posts
you could even use a string of those chasing lights set on fade.
or a reg flood light

·
Registered
155 Posts
I haven't had any issues with this light burning up??? It has run in our haunt for 3 days. This is also the same light used by Xtreme Creators in thier Creature Crate kit...However if I were to redo this I would find a cheap 12 volt very bright LED replacement...The Led colors would be a true red, and almost no heat generated at all.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I haven't had any issues with this light burning up??? It has run in our haunt for 3 days. This is also the same light used by Xteme Creators in thier Creature Crate kit...However if I were to redo this I would find a cheap 12 volt very bright LED replacement...The Led colors would be a true red, and almost no heat generated at all.
I bought 6 or 7 of them last year (before I figured out they were for water use only) they get EXTREMELY hot, I cant overstate that enough, they didnt burn up on me, I used them for two weeks straight on at least 5-6 hours a day, but they got so hot that I could not touch them in the slightest.

im replacing them this year with led spots (I hope anyway) everytime I turn around, I lose more time.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I got the lid hinged, and installed the chain restraints... plan on adding a washer to each of the u-bolts on the exterior to "finish" the install a bit better..

while I was at lowes getting the hardware I picked up a 2" rigid caster that I plan to use on the lid as a cam follower w/ the cam immediately below the lid, using ideas from http://cindybob.com/halloween/mib/

·
Registered
10,924 Posts
Looking really good so far! Keep up the good work!

·
Registered
8,110 Posts
I'm far from that. Just the graveyard display this year and lots more new and better props when I have ore time for next year!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts