Haunt Forum banner

My first attempt at Mache

2K views 20 replies 13 participants last post by  turtle2778 
#1 ·
This is my first attempt at doing any mache. So far its turning out pretty good. Any ideas for a "safe" way to light it? For the picutre i just taped it to a light in the basement. Also anyone know where i can get colored sheets of plastic. Please let me know what you think. Thanks

See less See more
#7 ·
Or you could put one of those blinking battery pumpkin lights in it.

Or if it is somewhere within electricity's reach, a simple short light set would work. That way you could pick what color you want it to be.

#8 ·
Last halloween I was very fortunate to find a quick LED lighting fix for two very large plastic pumpkins and two 29" tall grave stones. The LED Rainbow lights I purchased worked so well, I went back to the store and purchased the entire case they had in the event they don't make them for 2007.

Your project is also perfect for them. What also makes them great is the fact they contain 3 LED's, green, red, and blue. At the touch of a button, you can make any single LED turn on, any two, or all three, and either blink, fade on or off, or you can also just have all of them stay on constant. Or any possible combination you can think of for that matter.

They were purchased at one of those Party City stores. If used on batteries, they run for about 50-80 hours.
The photo didn't come out well of the unit, but it requires (3) "AAA" batteries or you can use a 4.5 volt power adapter. If you want to see them in action during my 2006 haunt, check out the two pumpkins and gravestones below.

#10 ·
I have a couple of those lights too Richie I like them..I got mine at kmart about 2 yrs ago..they weren't cheap though.... or if you can find the pumpkin lights thing they orange with a few lights on them
They would work good for you Turtle, or just find a small light set5 to 10 maybe , try a hobby shop also to find these small sets.

Bayou ..yes it cheaper .. unless you can find a reallllllly good deal on the premade foam ones...or u can carve into the plastic pumpkins too that kids use for candy buckets

#11 ·
Turtle, that is awesome! I'm actually going to be attempting my first mache prop in the next week or so. I'm working on framing it up and building up the inside right now, but will be putting papeer mache over it.

I was planning on using newspaper and powdered wallpaper paste. Would you mind sharing your recipe though? Thanks!

#16 ·
The large one took about a whole day to dry with 4 layers on it. The smaller ones im working on will probably be less. I put them in front of a fan and a heater and then rotate them. I put on 2 layers at a time and left them cook/cool for about 5 hours before putting on my other 2 layers. So all in all it took a while, but im liking the final result.

#19 ·
okay i couldnt paint the foam balls, go figure so i put tape around the hard one and used crumpled up paper with tape on it on the other one. Let me know and be honest. These are heads for my spiders and i dont want all the rest to look good and then you see those two and are like WTF..THANKS

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.