Haunt Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up some 3.5" square packing styrofoam and decided I would come up with a new TS for my yard. Anyway, being I am such a big fan of Edgar Allen Poe I did a tribute to one of my favorite Short Stories. Anyway, here is the progress thus far... Next step will be to distress, paint, and accent.

Tombstones 2007 pictures by ScoutBucket - Photobucket

·
Hillbilly Wrangler
3,472 Posts
Hey what did you use to route out the background of the letters? I love the raised look.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! That was the first time I had ever tried that and I was VERY happy with the result. I just used the rotary cutter tool that I have with a Dremel height adjusting doohicky seen in the photo. Once I cut the outline of the letters I proceed to the outside border of the text box and cut that. Then I just go for everything in between. I dont try and get all of it out, but just around 75 percent and then use my finger to sort of pluck/rub out the pieces still hanging on. It gives the low area (background) a bit more texture. Does that make sense?

It takes a bit more time to do then the normal cut letters but the effect is really nice.

·
Registered
5,682 Posts
nice carving Wildomar..
will look real nice all done up.

·
Registered
687 Posts
"Toshiba Tombstone" ; )

Until I read what you meant by that I pictured an off-beat prop I was thinking of making if I get to do a yard haunt this year. That's to take an LCD monitor and prop it up on a Bucky like he's holding it up where his head would be. Playing a DVD of my Bugs Bunny Halloween cartoons. It would also be funny to have hauntforum.com show up on it ; )

It sounds stupid on paper but I saw a prop like that with a computer monitor that had a fake blogging screen on it. I can't find the photo. But when I saw it in person the idea made me laugh (in a good way).

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I started calling it that a while back since they were made from the free electronics packing styrofoam that is readly available to any consumer purchasing just about anything these days. It was infinitly easier to call (or write) "Toshiba Tombstone" as opposed to "free electronics packing styrofoam" (FEPS)... besides Toshiba Tombstone has a bit of a ring to it. :googly:

In the end I found that I really just loved the challenge of making something from an appearantly useless piece of styrofoam and still have it come out decent. But I did recently purchase the 2-inch thick white styrofoam from HD and fell in love with the relative ease of making something with sheet styrofoam. So now I have a couple of projects in mid-build utilizing both the FEPS and the sheet stuff. So far things are coming together pretty good at my place.

360 Posts
Nice work, Wildomar. BTW - LOVE Edgar Allen Poe too. Just started working with styrofoam also, using it to create walls, rocks, etc. Really easy to work with.

Quick question, though, is doohicky the technical term? LOL

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quick question said:
Of course! Its from the latin verb "Dous" meaning to vigorously cut, or assail; and "hicky" meaning measuring doodad upon which styrofoam is incised. :D :p

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It is actually a Dremel item that I can make work on my Ryobi, albeit not so easily. If you already have the Dremel, head to HD or Lowes and they should have it for about 14.00. After that, just find a cutting bit that will give you the look you want. Mine is just a flat tipped cylindrical bit. Nothing fancy.

Widow's Bluff: I really loved your tutorial on tombstones... lots of great technique info there that I will be utilizing in the future on my stones. Thanks.

·
Registered
412 Posts
You did such a good job on your TS. What method will you be using to stand it up. Just curious as I plan on making some myself (time permitting) and would love to make some tall ones but would hate for them to blow away or break from the winds. I saw the tutorial on TS with lots of different ideas but wondered if you have in mind a different method for your design.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
B-Babe (hope you dont mind the abreviation) :D I worried about the stone breaking in the wind (as you know, we often see Santa Anas in the fall) so I inserted a 3/4-inch (ID) PVC up the center of the stone. I always use a Wood dowl to stake down the TS in the off chance someone runs into it. I would rather have them impact a breakable wood dowl than a piece of rebarb which can easily be lethal. The cross arms are internally braced with some left over 5/8-inch wood dowl.

I am about to begin a larger version of this stone which will have an internal 1-inch PVC cross-shaped frame sandwiched by two 2-inch styrofoam sheets. Again, I will use a wood dowl for staking. HTH.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Nice work!

I did a few raised letter tombstones with my dremmel, but I didn't have the attachment as you do. I guess you could say that the background looks rough (I took extra care around the outside of the letters however). Your detail is terrific!

As often as I play around with styrofoam during the Halloween season, I never thought of saving pieces from the packaging from a purchased item. Thanks for the idea...now I have to clear out another area of my basement...and think of an excuse as to why I am doing so for when my wife asks.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I overly worry about things like that, but you never know when some kid goes that extra step and falls on a stone. On the "Berenice" the cross bar suport is marginal, but it really isnt that big... maybe 4-4.5 feet tall. But the next one will be over 6 feet tall so the internal frame will be PVC.

·
Registered
50 Posts
"Toshiba Tombstone" ; )

Until I read what you meant by that I pictured an off-beat prop I was thinking of making if I get to do a yard haunt this year. That's to take an LCD monitor and prop it up on a Bucky like he's holding it up where his head would be. Playing a DVD of my Bugs Bunny Halloween cartoons. It would also be funny to have hauntforum.com show up on it ; )

It sounds stupid on paper but I saw a prop like that with a computer monitor that had a fake blogging screen on it. I can't find the photo. But when I saw it in person the idea made me laugh (in a good way).
You just gave me an awesome idea that I'll never get too.

Build a tombstone with a monitor/TV built in.

Cover entire Stone with a scrim cloth.

Have random images pop up from time to time.

Stone would have to be black, lettering maybe raised glued on letters, paited faux recess. Some sort of raised border covering the outside.

Would this work?

Oh, btw, I am truly inspired by what you did, Wildomar. Excellent work.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts