Haunt Forum banner

61 - 80 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
What actually drove the rings? I don't see how the wooden discs would turn the rings, unless there was something you left out. I see how the treadmill can turn the rings but I am open to any suggestions. I am in the process of building one and I must thank you for all of your ideas and creativity.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Tok's design is unique to any other vortex tunnel I've seen (not saying no one has never done it this way, but his is the only I've ever seen like this).

He has an axle that the rings HANG from. The axle turns and the friction caused by the weight of the rings causes the tunnel to turn.

The wooden disks themselves did not turn the rings.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Built my bridge in 3 sections 4' long, bolted everything together, used 2x6's instead of 2x4's, walked on it and it colapsed. Spent the next 24 hrs thinking if I should scrap this job or make it work. I then ran a 2x6-12' on each side of the bridge which was held on with carriage bolts and worked like a charm, solid. I installed the ring, using the concept given but trying to build the rings with 1/2 pvc with tees and crosses instead of bamboo to hold everything together. No good, too much weight, the rings became egg shaped and fittings got hung up on the main 3" tube. Running out now to purchase the gray tubing and bamboo. I

·
Registered
21 Posts
I am determined to make this work. Too much time invested to stop now. I also came up with a fool proof AFG set up, without using bike rims, angle steel, etc. I'm talking easy. I will post that as soon as I get this working first.

·
Registered
53 Posts
im building one of these ! it looks great so far, i just have to get my rings on and i'll be good to go ! im gonna post pictures for you guys too.

·
Registered
682 Posts
When building the rings out of conduit, what size did you cut the down to and did you have to heat them up to bend them?
We used 3 10' sticks of 1/2" pvc. We replaced the bamboo struts with pvc joints and glued the 3 sticks together and allowed them to dry before bending them into the rings. No heating necessary.

·
Registered
1 Posts
circle of tunnel

Hi,

We create a haunted house every year in our back yard. I know it is getting late, but I would love to incorporate this tunnel this year. Thank you for posting the steps. What is the circle made out of though? The three silver looking circles that rest on the 3" PVC pipe. Any more information you can provide will help us in being successful! Thank you!

KAte

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #77 ·
The silver rings were each made of 3 pieces of 1/2" pvc conduit, 10' long each for Tot13's (awesome!) tunnel. He used more pvc for the cross bracing. I used 3 and a half pieces for mine, and cross braced it with 5' long pieces of bamboo duct taped on. Just about any LIGHT way you find to do it will work, as long as your careful and pre-measure your bracing so its balanced as the tunnel spins.

Happy Haunting!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Great tutorial. Built one with some things to note!

This is a fantastic tutorial. I learned a few lessons along the way though.

1. A harbor freight plug in drill work fine. I hooked it up to a safety switch and had an actor turning it on and off

2. I used super cheap aluminum rollers to hold the tube. BAD idea! We found during testing after about 20 min of continuous running they heated cinsiderably. They dug a track into the PVC, and when turned off they were warm enough to actually indent the PVC damaging it. We attached an aluminum sleeve to fix this problem...which failed with 10 min left in our haunt. No big deal. Next year plastic rollers are being installed to fix this issue.

3. Wooden wedge to the drill is novel but failed us Over and over during our tests. We fixed this by drilling a hole straight through the 3" PVC and screwing in a small piece of all thread. In the middle of the pipe we attached a round coupling to the allthread free to move. This attached straight to a drill bit that we secured into the drill with zipties. We had to replace a few zipties throughout the night but it worked great.

4. We ziptied a 48" blacklight under each railing in the middle. This provided plenty of light!

This was a fantastic addition to our haunt...which is a completely free donation driven military sponsered event held yearly for a whopping 3 hours. It takes about 10 days of setup but is well worth it for the kids. We usually see about 800 people in that small window!

The information provided above is for informational purposes only. I assume no responsibility to any information that you may use that I provided.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Last year I built this . I used the old dinosaur drill . This year I used the motor from a hospital bed. It only has one speed and it's perfect . I can turn it on and just let it run.

61 - 80 of 83 Posts