Haunt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since we've just moved into a big old victorian, my daughter really wants it to be a "Haunted Mansion" theme...so we're starting with some of the portraits from disney's "stretch room". You can spend a bunch of money on prints...or do your own. We're going the second route.
I picked up some cheapo canvas prints of ugly flowers from Big Lots for 8 bucks a piece...covered them with $1 worth of white primer...then added some cheap gesso (painter's primer).
Next, I went online and tracked down the best copies of the portraits I could find. There wasn't much, but we're making do.
Using a projector and my computer, I'm projecting them to fit onto my cheapo canvases one by one. I then take a pencil (had my 5 year old help with this) and sketch the image onto the canvas.
Here are some pics so far. First one shows a portrait projected onto the canvas..the next shows several of the pencil sketches finished.
Next time I'll have some of the paint on!

The main thing here is you don't have to be a magnificent artist (but it wouldn't hurt). Sketch it as best you can..then just paint it like you'd paint a coloring book...once that dries, start adding shading...use the pictures as a guide. It isn't too bad once you get going.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Turtle, I connected my computer to a projector and displayed the picture I found online. I opened it in photoshop (but you could use any image editing program). I then sized it to fit my canvas. You can see the application windows behind the chair on the wall in the first image.

·
Registered
82 Posts
That is going to be so cool. I LOVE the Haunted mansion and i think this is a great idea.

·
Registered
5,565 Posts
Those will be cool
are you just doing the 3 or do you have more in mind

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
We're going to start with the 3 and see how they look when they're done. If they don't suck too bad, and don't take weeks to complete...we'll do more.

·
Registered
5,565 Posts
Well it can always be a winter project.. on those cold snowy days you can't go nowhere.
(unless you are in peoria AR )

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok..
Here is the first one. I'm probably not quite half way there. Lots of stuff to add..details to start putting in...but it's going ok. If I can finish this one this week, then start on the next one this weekend, I'll be in time for our party on the 18th.

Wish I'd taken some painting courses in college. :(

My 20" monitor sure helps copying the details though!

·
Registered
106 Posts
WOW...What a cool idea and I think they look great so far.
What kind of paint are you using? I can't wait to see these
finished. Keep up the good work!

·
Registered
195 Posts
THAT IS AMAZING!!! i love it, are you going to have them static or actually moving like the attraction??

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.