Haunt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Hillbilly Wrangler
3,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay i have finally gotten around to putting this together. Its just in its baby stages since ScareShack just taught me how to make HTML code yesterday, but he says ive come pretty far. Keep in mind that its not even close to finished. I just threw up some pics and a little text to practice, but i was soooo excited to have SOMETHING up that i wanted to share it. OOOH and the links page is where i did a LOT of practice on with different techniques so most of that isnt going to be there the next time you visit. Im trying to figure out how to do a drop down menu. Ya know the kind when you slide your mouse over the link and it drops down. I was thinking of using the years as my drop downs especially in the halloween village page. That way i can list all my photos according to year. Does anyone know how to do this? Or can you send me a link that explains how to? Id really appreciate any help or advice you can give. Im looking into getting photoshop CS2, we have a 30 day trial version that i want to use for some of my photos to create backgrounds and pictures for links like the back button or next button. Anyway...Here it is... www.turtlesterror.com Please be gentle, but be firm. :D

·
Hillbilly Wrangler
3,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:eek: aaah shucks. Well not completely. Johnny showed me what to do and then shoved me off the limg good thing i could fly. Im gunna do lots more, but this was what i did in the last day. Learning the html and then moving onto java today was alot. Im eager to learn more. I want the flashy stuff. LOL.

·
Premium Member
5,858 Posts
my 2 cents, keep it simple if you want people to see it.
If it takes to long to load, most won't wait around.
What he said. Java is neat to play with, but it's not terribly practical as it does take a long time to load applets, even on high speed internet.

Way to go on learning HTML! The more you practice it, the more "tricks" you'll learn with it. The next step would be to learn cascading style sheets, which go hand-in-hand with HTML to give you loads of control over how things look on your site.

Oh, and thank you so much for the link. :D

14,925 Posts
Way to go on learning HTML! The more you practice it, the more "tricks" you'll learn with it. The next step would be to learn cascading style sheets, which go hand-in-hand with HTML to give you loads of control over how things look on your site.

Oh, and thank you so much for the link. :D
Yeap, Z is right, next step for me CSS, consistency on your pages!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
5,858 Posts
If you really want consistency, then PHP is key. You can use it to load in a header and footer for each page and just swap content in and out based on how the user navigates. That's how I operate the Unpleasant Street site and keep it consistent from one page to the next. PHP is a programming language however, and is more than a little intimidating, so approach that with great caution.

Keep up the good work Turtle. It's always cool to watch how a site grows and develops from its first stages.

·
Hillbilly Wrangler
3,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you really want consistency, then PHP is key. You can use it to load in a header and footer for each page and just swap content in and out based on how the user navigates. That's how I operate the Unpleasant Street site and keep it consistent from one page to the next. PHP is a programming language however, and is more than a little intimidating, so approach that with great caution.

Keep up the good work Turtle. It's always cool to watch how a site grows and develops from its first stages.
Hey Z....how do i get a little ICON with my webpage. Like ur skull head? How do i make it show up with a shortcut. Thats one of my favorite things about ur site. THANKS

·
Premium Member
5,858 Posts
Hey Z....how do i get a little ICON with my webpage. Like ur skull head? How do i make it show up with a shortcut. Thats one of my favorite things about ur site. THANKS
Well, you need to make an ICO file. An ICO file is a bitmap created in a paint program that you then use an ICO file converter to make an ICO file from. The file must be named favicon.ico and must be uploaded to your web site's root directory (often named either "public_html" or "www").

The bitmap you create must be 16 pixels wide by 16 pixels high, which isn't much, so some creativity must go into creating your icon image.

So, the process goes like this:
  1. Create image in paint program.
  2. Save image as a Bitmap (favicon.bmp)
  3. Open it in an icon creation software.
  4. Use the icon software to convert and save the bitmap as an icon file (favicon.ico).
  5. Upload favicon.ico to your web site's root directory.

You can use nearly any image creation software to make the bitmap and just search around on google for ICO conversion software to find software to help complete the conversion.

·
Registered
5,682 Posts
very nice Turtle...
good job
let us know when you have updated it. Should end up being a great site.

·
Panic time is here!
3,834 Posts
I think you are on your way.

If you see something on a site that you like ...a font for example...you can "view source" to see their html. It is a handy tool to learn how sites are put together.

Good luck.

That is it for my html knowledge. So sad!

·
Hillbilly Wrangler
3,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thats what ive been doing. I couldnt find a cut and paste program i could understand.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
All you have to do turtle, is keep that hot chick in that coffin on your main page and you'll be fine! LOL

No really, it looks good.

·
Registered
148 Posts
You are getting good advise. DynamicDrive.com has a free favicon generator on their site. They even give you the code to copy and paste. Everything you need to know is on the w3c website. They have some great beginner tutorials on how to code properly. Learn how to use CSS and it will save you tons of time. Using PHP for server-side includes like the header, footer, CMS, etc. is the way to go with larger sites. I only use them for professional sites I build. That's my day job, although you wouldn't know it from my site. Never enough time.

Now that I overwhelmed you, I'll ditto the keep it simple. Less is more. And test in several browsers and validate your code. Good start, and good luck!

·
Registered
432 Posts
Yep, we all start somewhere, and doing a "view source" on pages you like to see how they're structured can be a great way to add to your "bag of tricks" with HTML and CSS.

Without going into PHP, you can also get a consistent framework to all of your pages with simple HTML if your webserver supports server-side-includes. I do this on my sites. I only use CSS for fonts, colors, etc, and HTML for everything else, but if you learn CSS in all its glory, it's quite powerful.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts