Haunt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I had decided to make a witch stirring a cauldron as my major piece for my haunted forest. This will be around the middle of my haunt.

The body is constructed of wood and PVC pipe with chicken wire to bulk it up. I connected the arms with large closed cup hooks linked to each other to give it a loose jointed feel. I used pipe insulation to give the bulkiness to the arms. I bought a Cryptkeeper mask from ebay, but I wanted it to look more witchlike, so I made it a distorted nose complete with wart. The eyes are actually white ceramic door knobs I picked up at a garage sale with the pupils painted with acrylics and then painted with glossy clear paint to give it that wet look. The hands were from one of those hanging ghouls I picked up at Walgreens last year.

The cauldron was made from one of those large plastic buckets with the rope handles. I used foam and plaster cloth for the top and the center. The stick is actually a shaved pool noodle painted brown to look like wood. The wooden logs are also pool noodles carved and painted. I used a string of blinking red Christmas lights for the fire. For the finished piece, I covered the lights with some plastic bags from the grocery store to give it more of a fiery look. On the inside, I have green Christmas lights and I'll be hooking up my fogger to hopefully have a nice green fog coming up from the cauldron. After several tries with different motors, I finally went with a rotisserie motor I bought at a garage sale for 50 cents. I must have spent at least 2 months trying to figure out how to get it to not spin too fast and how to hook up the proper metal pieces to the motor.

Now I just have to find a place for it for the next few months so I can park my car in the garage. LOL

·
Registered
687 Posts
That's cool. I like the details. If you hook-up a fog machine into the back of the cauldron it will end up looking like a steam train. The fog will shoot straight up. Here's a couple photos of rolling lingering fog out of a cauldron if you use a 48 qt Igloo Ice cube fog chiller and a 400W fogger. Fog Chiller Tests :: Fogging Cauldron Test Pt I picture by bpesti - Photobucket There's two successive test photos with a 16" dia cauldron. I also put a mini mister inside a smaller 8" h tall plastic cauldron bucket filled with water inside the bigger cauldron. You could also use a coffee can. It has to be tall. I propped the mini mister up to a higher level inside with a bent coat hanger to get it as close to the top as possible. The mini mister picks up the slack to continue the lingering fog effect when the low wattage fogger turns off to reheat.

I don't have instructions on how to build the fog chiller but here's Fog Chiller Construction pictures by bpesti - Photobucket with descriptions.

You could also try filling your large cauldron with ice. Two years ago I filled a metal pot with ice inside the cauldron and a 3" dia drier duct connecting a 400W fogger to the back of a plastic cauldron. It also worked to keep the fog lingering. But a small fog chiller works the best if you have room for it. The only problem with a 400W fogger is it turns off to reheat often so it's not constant fog. But a higher wattage fogger might be too much fog velocity. You'd just have to try it. It looks like you have a decent sized cauldron. I disguised my fog chiller with Creepy cloth gauze which isn't shown.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Great looking Witch and Cauldron. Even better is the fact that if you had to purchase a retail version, I've seen them as high as $3,400.00. Yeah, the fog effect is a must for that prop. We added fog and bubbling audio effects to ours and the neighbors couldn't get enough of it. Wonderful job!

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
That is wicked awesome. That is the type of stuff I would like to make one day.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Stirring witches rock! A bewitchingly nice job on your haunted forest centerpiece.

"The stick is actually a shaved pool noodle painted brown to look like wood."
Does that mean she's making eye of newt and noodle soup? Sorry... I missed lunch today.

A fog machine piped into the cauldron and lit from inside makes all the difference in atmosphere for your great prop.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
I'd dig a video of it right now just to see it stirring.
Wicked cool job!

·
Registered
358 Posts
Excellent job, I agree, a video is in order!

·
Registered
5,682 Posts
Very Cool Maureenpr..
good work
your cauldron is very nice
is there a reason you have red inside the cauldron instead of white or green to reflect the green color you want?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts