Haunt Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I remember seeing somewhere a howto on how to make you own high power servos.

Does anybody have a link to this please?

·
Registered
259 Posts
Doc did this.

Doc used a wiper motor and a driver board board from a servo that as I recall he utilized the signal output to drive some op amps. I will look for the thread. In fact I just got a recent response from him re this. Search that Dragon thread. I mentioned automating the prop and mentioned his power servo. He is in process of working on a prop using them.

Found it. http://www.hauntforum.com/showthread.php?t=12435&highlight=servo

Here is the link you want. The first link is Doc discussing how he will use the Monster Servo's

http://www.hauntforum.com/showthread.php?t=10575&highlight=mosfet

PS. I think I meant to say mosfet instead of op amps. Regardless. His thread explains how he does it.

PPS. Oh and this you will want to look at. http://www.lynxmotion.com/Product.aspx?productID=648&CategoryID=52

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks very much Tom.

However none of these look like the article I saw (which wasn't on Hauntforum). I'll keep looking and will post the link when and if I find it.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nope - not that one either but thanks for trying.

I have a feeling that the one I saw was based on the Lynxmotion board in Spinman's post but had lots of actual pictures showing the setup

·
Registered
462 Posts
How much torque do you need?

Wiper motors vary in torque but I believe most supply between 8 and 12 ft.-pounds of torque.

You can always use a Hitec HS-805BB Mega Torque servo which is rated for
275 ounce-inches (about 1.5 ft.-pounds) of torque at 4.8V or
343 ounce-inches (about 1.8 ft.-pounds) of torque at 6.0V.

They run about $30

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi mate, the HS5475 board info says it provides up to 4.5A with 2A continuous at 6V. I'm aware that a wiper motor can pull more than this although I might do some tests to see just how much it pulls under moderate loads.

For smaller motors the HS5475 ought to be fine though - I'm going to trawl around and look for geared motors to play with.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Try this one. It works really well - it should be fine for light loads ~2 lbs - I will need to check the current though I think it is about an amp. I am using one for my peeper I can test the current if you like also they are using them for FCG

·
Registered
4 Posts
If you are wanting to stay with a standard servo motor system you should look here at the "Pan" and "Tilt" systems that servo city offers. These are essentially gear boxes bolted onto standard servo motors that get you a huge increase in torque. I have used their 'medium duty' pan motors for 2 props I built and have had no problems.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts