Haunt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to make a life size figure (very light weight) move from the waist up in a sharp kind of jery twisting motion. The legs would be completely static and the dummy would swivel at his waist. Just like an oscilating fan, but shorter quicker movements. Picture the way the Queen of Elngland waves to a crowd. That movement, but at the waist.
I have no experience with compressed air or motors for that matter. But I'd like to go the motor route. Any ideas?

·
Registered
476 Posts
I want to make a life size figure (very light weight) move from the waist up in a sharp kind of jery twisting motion. The legs would be completely static and the dummy would swivel at his waist. Just like an oscilating fan, but shorter quicker movements. Picture the way the Queen of Elngland waves to a crowd. That movement, but at the waist.
I have no experience with compressed air or motors for that matter. But I'd like to go the motor route. Any ideas?
By odd coincidence, I'm building 4 life-sized armatures for my pirate band with static legs and pivoting waists that are motor driven. I'm using a similar drive to what Woody described. I'll take pictures...

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Awesome! Thanks for all the help guys. That diagram will help me a lot. Now it's just a question of what type of motor I should use. I guess a wiper motor.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Hi there MM,

I'm doing something along the same lines as you are except mine is going to be an animated care taker. Ghost Ride Productions sells something similar to my project, and the movement will be exactly the same, which looks like the exact movement Bob Andrew's project has (Nice work Bob). If you click the link below and click the demo button, Ghost Ride has a quick video of their project, but also how mine will operate.

http://www.ghostride.com/products/animated_bodies/animated_bodies.html

·
Registered
8,110 Posts
I can't tell how the metel is comin out of the black pole. Doe sit have a hole in it for the gear clamp to go through and then twisted?

·
Registered
476 Posts
No, I have an angle bracket that's hose clamped on. I couldn't drill a hole in there. You can't see it, but there's a 12" long 1/2" pipe within the outer 1" pipe that helps stabilize the torso, but allowing it to twist.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts