Haunt Forum banner
21 - 21 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Just found out yesterday the city is having its first Halloween decorating contest. You sign up and they will add you to a city haunt map. Unsure if this will just be a way for vandals to find folks easily.
Bring it back to your circumstances, based on your neighborhood issues I personally wouldn't put things out solely for the decorating contest. The risk far outweighs any potential positives that comes from the contest. I know it's deflating and probably frustrating that other people are potentially stopping you from the enjoyment of your favorite holiday/season, but it's just the way it currently is in your neighborhood. I'm so sorry about that btw. My question is would you feel more deflated if you set up, and then lost props to either theft or vandalism due to turmoil in your neighborhood.

The combination of these two points is why I'd consider moving myself. I wouldn't want others to adversely affect my enjoyment of the season, and if I couldn't set up my yard display, I would NOT enjoy the season at all. My set up makes it feel like Halloween all October. If I didn't set up, it'd be like any other time but I'd be bummed every time I'd see others' displays because I'd know I was missing out.

Now, to the concern about publishing your address putting a target on your house, you could avoid probably 80% of that concern simply by putting out signs stating video surveillance and recording is in progress. Most people will notice the sign and not bother. To eliminate another 19.9% of concern, actually put cameras out. It won't stop every possible person, but most won't think it was worth the threat of accountability. My cameras have actually caught nighttime neighborhood vandals who were shooting out car windows with bb guns. Prosecuted and convicted. That last 0.1% of folks? Well, what are the chances that 1 in 1000 gives a hoot about Halloween decorations. I think well placed cameras and signs make the property pretty secure... a lot more so than a property with neither.

21 - 21 of 21 Posts