Haunt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 127 Posts

·
In Memoriam
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A prop builders job is never done!
We have already started on another big project and this one is shaping up to be one of our best. The team has been assembled and it has some heavy hitters! Bobzilla, Lightman, RedTiePhotography and Dead Things return and joining us for the first time is RoxyBlue and Spooky1!
We will be incorporating some new items and upgrading some of the existing props to create a brand new witches scene.
To start things off, Bobzilla and I have been working on the skull of a new character which includes some very special eyes.
Here is your first sneak peak!

I discovered the eyes while surfing the net. The original concept came from David Boccabella (Marcwolf) and a tutorial was done by Phillip Burgess. This is on the Adafruit site and uses components that they stock. It can be found at https://learn.adafruit.com/animated-electronic-eyes-using-teensy-3-1 This project, along with some other ideas for adding animatronic eyes to your props will be the topic of my April article in Servo Magazine.
The eyes that I have built for this project cost about $150 for all the parts. It does require some fine soldering and a basic knowledge on adding programming to an Arduino. I will be ordering more of these and have plans to add them to a variety of my characters.

Here's Bryan's video of the completed skull in action using a temporary soundtrack -

The mechanism for the witch is coming together.

This year's debut of the new witch scene -

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
That's great, a digital take on the eyes. Probably less of a hassle than axix motors and all that. I didn't know you were all in the San Diego area, too cool. Looking forward to seeing your progress.

·
Super Moderator
64,302 Posts
Spooky1 and I are really excited about being part of this talented team. Looking forward to seeing it all pan out beautifully!

·
Registered
282 Posts
Great job on the concept, design, and sculpt. It's really shaping up. Eyes look great!

Looking forward to the build my friends...

·
IN MEMORIAM - A Wee Bit Wicked....
8,670 Posts
:jol:Looks like a good thread to watch! I can't wait to see what you guys come up with. I am sure it will be spooktacular!:D

·
In Memoriam
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That is so cool! How did you get started on the whole team concept? And can you share some details on the eyes? Thanks!
Thank you!
The collaboration started innocently enough. Bobzilla, who lives near me, was over and we were of course discussing prop building. I mentioned to him that I wish I was able to have more lifelike faces on my 3 axis skulls. He volunteered to try to do some sculpting on one. It came out fantastic but now it needed a voice. That's when I contacted Dead Things to see if he would be interested in doing the voice as he has some experience doing that with his witches. He agreed and we completed a great prop! My son, Bryan of RedTiePhotography did all the photo and video work to show him off.
The next year's big project was being planned and we wanted to up our game again. Lightman was developing a new puppeteering controller I wanted to try out so I approached him. With his help, Papa VooDoo came to life. Pumpkin5 asked it we needed any help and we jumped at her offer! Her props added a tremendous amount to the finished prop.
RoxyBlue offered her assistance if we ever needed some witches voice work. That is this year's project and we are looking forward to working with her and Spooky1.
Working with a group such as these talented people has allowed us to create some unbelievable creations. It adds to the fun and keeps a continuous flow of ideas coming. I suggest this method to anyone who wants to take their props to the next level.
I will place some info regarding the eyes in the initial post.

·
2,279 Posts
I added some horn to the skull for a little more sinister look.
Steve also programmed some different eyes into the screens.
I think the blue eyes were a little too friendly looking.
I'll take some video of the new eyes, and post it soon.

·
Super Moderator
64,302 Posts
I like the shape of those horns.

·
Ghost Maker
3,014 Posts
Thank you! I will enjoy watching this come together.

Thank you!
The collaboration started innocently enough. Bobzilla, who lives near me, was over and we were of course discussing prop building. I mentioned to him that I wish I was able to have more lifelike faces on my 3 axis skulls. He volunteered to try to do some sculpting on one. It came out fantastic but now it needed a voice. That's when I contacted Dead Things to see if he would be interested in doing the voice as he has some experience doing that with his witches. He agreed and we completed a great prop! My son, Bryan of RedTiePhotography did all the photo and video work to show him off.
The next year's big project was being planned and we wanted to up our game again. Lightman was developing a new puppeteering controller I wanted to try out so I approached him. With his help, Papa VooDoo came to life. Pumpkin5 asked it we needed any help and we jumped at her offer! Her props added a tremendous amount to the finished prop.
RoxyBlue offered her assistance if we ever needed some witches voice work. That is this year's project and we are looking forward to working with her and Spooky1.
Working with a group such as these talented people has allowed us to create some unbelievable creations. It adds to the fun and keeps a continuous flow of ideas coming. I suggest this method to anyone who wants to take their props to the next level.
I will place some info regarding the eyes in the initial post.

·
Super Moderator
64,302 Posts
Nicely painted, bobz! Great choice of color

·
2,279 Posts
Thank you, thank you! :)
Steve let me use some of his gel stain for the skull.
I wasn't sure how it would come out?
I'm pretty happy with it though :)

Nicely painted, bobz! Great choice of color

·
Registered
282 Posts
Really looks great Bob! Color goes well with eyes. Really looks alive in your hand. Professional job my friend.

1 - 20 of 127 Posts