Haunt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got the new style Boris and wanted to see if a recorded sound could be used to make the mouth move.

I cut off the 'microbone' and added an eighth inch mini plug. That can then be plugged into an mp3 player, cd player, or even an old school tape deck, whatever you have.

The results:

Halloween 2007 :: Talking Skull video by amyrosalina78 - [email protected]@[email protected]@http://vid72.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid72.photobucket.com/albums/i178/amyrosalina78/Halloween%202007/[email protected]@[email protected]@[email protected]@[email protected]@[email protected]@[email protected]@i178/amyrosalina78/Halloween%202007/talkingSkull

I would split the signal coming out of the headphone jack of whatever audio source you use. One would go to control the mouth. The other would go to cheapy computer speakers for sound. Then I would consider removing the speaker from the skull, as it is garbage.

You are going from an 'amplified' headphone out to a really 'hot' mic input. So keep the volume on the player low. Otherwise, the mouth will just stay open.

Super simple. For the money, this is my favorite thing this year.

·
Registered
270 Posts
The best improvement on this new one is that the servo motor on the mouth is stronger.You can tilt this one at any angle & the jaw moves at full range. the old original had to be striaght up, any rearward or forward tilt & the jaw would not move at all.It might be a little cheesier looking skull than the original,but at least the batterys are accessable without removing the skullcape / no skull cap cut looks better & stronger jaw servo & for $20 getting a basic talking skull works for me !!

·
Registered
10,900 Posts
That's so simple that it's down right scary!

Have you tried that with a line level input?

Maybe a 10db pad circuit could help as well.

Thanks for the report Slimy!

·
Registered
54 Posts
The only thing about the Big Lots Boris (and I bought one a few days ago) is that the skull itself looks like a gimmick: you need to hide this Boris's head in a hood or something. It does work well though, at least. Hard to complain for $20.

On that note, does anyone know how to hack the older, traditional Boris from wireless to wired? I have the old wireless version but the selectivity of the FM receiver is so poor it constantly picks up garbage noise, ruining the effect. I really just want to cut the receiver out and make it a regular wired version.

Thanks

1 - 20 of 99 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.