Haunt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been having a great time on the forum! Thanks for creating it!

I'm really getting into applying and creating make-up effects. I think there's a number of other members here that may be fascinated by make-up as well since we spend so much of our efforts creating atmospheres in our haunts. It seems make-up is right up there with making the set and building the props!

Zombie-F, would you please consider adding the category "Make-Up" under "Halloween Discussions" ?

That way members interested can do more focused conversations on this topic? Some members fall into the group of being curious, others would appreciate tips and tricks, and still others might just want to show off what they did or can do.

Thanks, and away I go to post more on the forum!

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
I like that idea too! Bodybagging could give some good info as well if he wanted to.

I tried my hand at wax and I could put on a little blurb about what I thought of it...

Good idea Sickie!

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
I've seen makeup categories on other forums do fairly well, but I would suggest also that costumes be included. In other words makeup/costumes. The same people who go that extra mile to transform themselves on Halloween, also tend to make their costumes an integral part of that. Creation of the dual purpose section would then highlight the transformation of "Self".

·
Are you always like this?
3,290 Posts
I certainly like the idea of combining make up with costumes! I'm sure I'd contribute in some capacity or another... Whenever I feel like I'm running out of steam, I come here, read and it really motivates me.

Like right now. Although I'm nearly finished with this costume, the braided trim has turned out to be exceptionally tedious... It'll be worth it though.

A designated thread for this combined topic would be great. I'm all for it!

·
Registered
5,682 Posts
I also agree a new catagory would be great.... any tips would help whether you have any theatre experience in make-up or not there's always room for more input..
as for costumes i need a sewing machine now..

·
Registered
8,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I really like the idea of combining costumes with make up. The transformation of the total person so to speak. Ms Wicked, since you have experience with sewing, your input would be greatly appreciated. :)

Yahoo!!! I'm getting really excited just thinking about it! I have a cool idea for a skele costume I pesonally haven't seen before and I know others have neat ideas to bring to the table, too!

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
To be honest, it all sort of goes hand in hand with Halloween, don't you think? That subject in itself sort of encompasses a wide assortment of things. Probably the best thing to do in this situation is to create a sticky in that part of the forum and go from there. Maybe that isn't even needed, if there is a big demand for such a subject, it's not like a thread of that sort will get lost in the shuffle. Not trying to sound negative in the least like I am vehemently against the idea, but the board is starting to look cluttered especially in the Halloween section and there are categories people just had to have that are barely posted on. The classifieds, Atmosphere and Group Buys are mainly the ones I am talking about.

Doubt Zombie-F will go for it, but you never know. This is all just my opinion and as most people know, mine ain't worth all that much. :D :jol:

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
But Sinister, dont you think that those particular sections that have not been posted on, classifieds, atmosphere and Group buys, are mainly - around halloween - sections anyway. People only post to them leading up to halloween.

Im sure this thread in particular will be posted on much more in July - October, when people are getting ready for the big day... except for Sicky & Bodybagging (who works in the industry) and Mrs. Wicked, who makes costumes all year around.

You have the right to be vehemently against the idea, and that is what this thread is for, but I personally, dont think you gave the idea a chance from you reasons to be against it...

Change is necessary for something to grow... and quite frankly, this forum is HUGE!

·
Premium Member
5,858 Posts
I currently don't see the need for this topic to have its own forum here just yet. In performing a search on "Makeup," I found only a handful of threads over the past three years on the subject. If there is any momentum that were to build up a greater demand for such a forum to be created, I would be all for it, but at present with as few relevant threads in existence as there are, I just don't see a need for it just yet.

Now, Vlad's idea of a makeup/costume thread seems like a better idea to me. I'll re-approach this issue after the new year after this thread has had a little more time to simmer and the debate moves further along.

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
But Sinister, dont you think that those particular sections that have not been posted on, classifieds, atmosphere and Group buys, are mainly - around halloween - sections anyway. People only post to them leading up to halloween.

You have the right to be vehemently against the idea, and that is what this thread is for, but I personally, dont think you gave the idea a chance from you reasons to be against...
Court my dear, I never said I was vehemently against it. Go back and read my post a little more carefully. ;)

As for the rest of the things I posted, some of you who are hardcore into this whole yard haunt thing probably start freaking out the day after Halloween about what you're going to do the following year, so why not post in these forums? I simply think there are too many open forums on the board. I believe some forums could be condensed to give the place a tighter look. Adding one more category, and this is no offense to anyone, so take a deep breath here guys, I don't believe will help enchance the board in any way. I am VERY impressed with Bodybagging's work (Why do you think I have attained him for what I have planned to do :D ) and Sickie's as well. But I think those guys would get tired of it shortly when it would be just them and Ms. Wicked posting the bulk of the threads there. Lets be honest: How many of you here with worrying about how many tombstones are going to be done by THE DAY, if your flying crank ghost is working, or where you can get a good used windshield wiper motor are really going to pay that much attention to the intricate details of make-up wizardry that is going to add even more time, work and stress to your haunts? Not many of you, I am willing to bet.

But I give all the guys who can do this masterful work their kudos. If Z does put up a forum, I will be in it to give these guys their accolades as I am fascinated with the whole process that goes into making these great works. I just see very few people posting original ideas and material and people who just "come in off the street" for two or three posts and vanish shortly thereafter, don't really count in my book.

Not trying to step on toes, these are just my opinions and they are in no way endorsed by Hauntforum or it's subsidiaries in any way. :D

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
If a make up catorgy gets made, great, if not i'll just keep chasing the topic around and looking. Im trying to learn the art myself, first by knowledge(reading). I agree whith all said, by everyone, im in the middle.
To those that do it and post info, thanks, im always looking for more knowledge.

·
Registered
8,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sinister, I honestly appreciate your opinion. :) I think that's what makes this forum great is that so many opinions are able to be expressed openly.

While I understand where you are coming from with your idea of things being cluttered, personally I think all these areas are needed. If posts are randomly placed in forums because things have been condensed, where is the organization?

I also believe that once the make-up/costume catagory is created, people will have a place to post questions, and keep posts together so people won't have to search them out or accidently miss them.

Once again, thanks for your opinion though. Everybody has their two cents (including me) , but the nice thing is that everone wants what's best for this group. :-D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts