Haunt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 204 Posts

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My overly-ambitious idea for my haunt this year is to make two life-size weeping angel statues, like from the Doctor Who episode "Blink". I plan on having one in a "passive" posture, the other in "attack" posture.

I figure I can construct the shell of the body by taking a paper-mache cast of one of the mannequins I picked up last year, reinforcing it on the inside. The head I can build with paper-mache clay on top of one of my paper-mache cast skulls. I did something similar to my witch and it turned out well.

The wings will be a challenge. Examples on the web show people to have carved them out of the think blue insulation foam. Since I need more than one, I might be able to cast copies with paper mache, to same time...

Make a tunic, like a toga, and monster mud the heck out of the thing.

Good think I'm starting to think on this early! What do you think? I've pulled off the difficult before, the impossible just takes a little more time... http://www.hauntforum.com/showthread.php?t=23707

·
Super Moderator
64,302 Posts
You could always capture a real angel and monster mud it, you know:googly:

Definitely ambitious, and I'm looking forward to seeing how you tackle the challenges:)

·
She looks so normal
21,276 Posts
At least you're starting early enough. Not the kind of project you would want to start on Oct. 1st. Keep us updated on your progress. By the way, love your columns.

·
Administrator
10,705 Posts
Man, I swear we must all be the biggest bunch of Doctor Who nerds outside of the Doctor Who forums! I also LOVED this episode!
I loved that episode! On a related note, one of my boys asked me to make him a Dalek costume for 2011. Hello. I'm Hauntiholik and I'm a Doctor Who fan.

I can't wait to see what you come up with MacabreRob.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yah, I saw that costume. My daughter wants to do that for Halloween, so that would be another pair of wings to make... :p

I was thinking of some sort of Pepper's Ghost illusion to make the 2 status look like one that moves, but I have very limited room in my yard.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
IMHO best Dr. Who episode ever! Love the idea - can't wait to see what you come up with.

"Don't blink. Don't even blink. Blink and you're dead. Don't turn your back, don't walk away, and don't blink."

·
Witch-Finder of Lilburn
2,033 Posts
I hope whoever came up with the idea for a fiendish, statuesque creature that moves only when unwatched is feeling supremely satisfied and original, wherever he or she is. I'm just saying. That's a genuine contribution, if you dig.

Man would that make a spooky haunt. Post pix on your progress please. :)

·
Volat cum ea suas alas.
12,853 Posts
LOL..on 2nd video at :30, there is a mannequin with a big fat belly in background. Where would they use a fat bellied guy mannequin?? Fishing & tackle shop?

·
Batty Beautiful
5,654 Posts
LMAO! that was hillarious!

LOL..on 2nd video at :30, there is a mannequin with a big fat belly in background. Where would they use a fat bellied guy mannequin?? Fishing & tackle shop?
LOL either that or a flea market!:D

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Update on progress

It has begun!

Firstly, I coated the mannequin with a light spray of silicone to make the demolding process go easier.

The first layer of paper mache was put on with a simple glue + water mixture, again to make demolding work easier. I found the combination of silicone on the form and this lighter first pasting worked fairly well when I did this with skulls.

Note: I hate working inside on this, my table is a lot lower than my usual workbench and it's murder on my back. :eek:

Second layer is applied using a more regular paste, as defined by Stolloween.

Something about applying the paper mache on such a realistic female figure makes me want to not have the kids in the room...

1 - 20 of 204 Posts