Haunt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This prop is pretty tame, but I wanted to get people's opinions on it.

I made a sign last year, but I really wasn't happy with the way it turned out. It was rather plain. Our theme is more or less a haunted country estate so I wanted to make something more befitting the theme.

I purchased a wooden plaque from the craft store, and transfered the text on to it. (I used a computer to layout the text.) Then, I roughly carved out the words. Next, I painted the entire sign green. I had some gold leaf left over from gilding a frame, so I used it in the words and on the border. Lastly, I sealed it with an outdoor polyurethane. I still have to add a stake so that I can post the sign in the ground. (The sign is meant to be low and very close to the ground.)

The sign is fairly small, but it's really meant to be an accent, not a feature piece.

That's it.

·
Registered
5,682 Posts
nice sign ..a nice low watt green light would look good on that

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
looks really good Ceryscrow! You said you would have it low to the ground.....what about being held up by a well-weathered bucky thats collapsed in a corner? Very nice accent....classy!

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys for the comments and the ideas.

Sickie: I used super cheapie wood carving tools left over from my college days. I scored around each letter first, and then, going with the grain of the wood, I used a small chisel point tool (at an angle) to lift off bits of wood from inside the letters.

I probably could have done a neater job if I had better tools, but I'm satisified with the result.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Very nice! I like the font you chose--very English high gothic...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts